Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
66project
    Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:23 am

Hi All,

I own a 66 Mustang and its in need of some love. I decided that I need to learn to MIG weld in order to do the work myself. I apologise in advance for any complete newbie questions!

After many hours researching what to buy, I purchased a SIP T166 MIG welder.

I'm currently working on the front frame rails of the car and have found that I need to cut & splice a section of the floor support requiring spot welds. I'm probably a few weeks away from having the rusty piece cut out and a new piece ready to go in so I'm going to take some time to learn to MIG :-)

Please be patient with me :-)

Cheers
Grant
Dublin, Ireland
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You don't want to learn how to weld on a 66 Mustang. Especially anything structural. Find some similar material and practice (a LOT) away from the car.
Multimatic 255
66project
    Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:23 am

Yes, that's what I'll be doing
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

66project wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:28 am Hi All,

I own a 66 Mustang and its in need of some love. I decided that I need to learn to MIG weld in order to do the work myself. I apologise in advance for any complete newbie questions!

I'm currently working on the front frame rails of the car and have found that I need to cut & splice a section of the floor support requiring spot welds. I'm probably a few weeks away from having the rusty piece cut out and a new piece ready to go in so I'm going to take some time to learn to MIG :-)

Cheers
Grant
Dublin, Ireland
that welder looks like the most basic usable mig you can get (not many still make them). looks like 6 voltage taps, so its not to bad.
thank goodness its not yet another fluxcore welder.

imho your best to learn to weld with a stick welder, especially if your self taught.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

66project wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:28 am Hi All,

Cheers
Grant
Dublin, Ireland

You had me at Irish Mustang, are there many 66's over there?
You will need to go the smallest wire you can get away with as this should get the most heat out of that unit. Solid will need a 25-75 gas. Try all your gas suppliers as thier prices and offerings vary widely.
Replace spot welds with stitches as you will never replicate a strength spot weld of similar size with a mig without leaving a defect of some sort.
There used to be a welding forum in the uk some nice peeps, some not so polite, it was alot of leyland, rover, queens chariots repairs etc. Take the tips ignore the bullshit ;) Cant remember the name. Mig something.

It is a great idea to practise alot.
Pictures of Mustangs are always welcome, just so you know.