Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Hey gang, been welding since I was 9 years old. Started welding on carnival rides (yes back then your life was in a 9 years old hands, eye opener some rides are still in service with those same welds). Once I turned 16 I officially started my career in maintenance with my father who bought me a Bobcat 225e+ with a MIG and a TIG inverter I still have the Bobcat. Finally got off the carnival and found no one would hire a welder that didn't go to school. So I went to ATI in Dallas, Texas in 1995. Taught the instructors how to TIG ... ya, and became an assistant instructor since all the students came to me anyways. Couldn't find a high paying job since I didn't know anyone so I stuck with maintenance. I have worked for no name companies to E-One firetrucks, Toshiba, Goodman, and Baker Hughes as a maintenance welder almost always the sole welder. Since the Covid came around and was laid off at Baker I couldn't find a job that paid more than 18 bucks an hour since the market was flooded with out of work welders. I built a 30 x 30 shop that I work out of now, 1 customer that gives me Aluminum and Stainless TIG jobs. Started with a 220 Multimatic, they gave me an old 250 syncrowave with a coolmate 4 so I could weld 3/8" aluminum for them. They have started to give me more intricate jobs the 250 struggles with (given it's age) so they loaned me the money to buy a Dynasty 400 TIG runner that I am setting up as I type (waiting on coolant and a dinse adapter for the torches). Which is more machine than I know what to do with but like always I'll learn. Torches I use are CK 350 flex head, CK 250 flex lock , and a CK micro 140 amp, all liquid cooled. Also just bought a $300 amazon weld positioner that worked much better than I had expected, the chuck is not even close to true but it worked. Glad to be here, hope to help and get helped alike!! :D
Attachments
Keeping it straight. Using my 220 Multimatic on 16 gauge SS.
Keeping it straight. Using my 220 Multimatic on 16 gauge SS.
30629_118440854850981_2245189_n1.jpg (517.68 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
My cheapy weld positioner with a viscometer housing in it.
My cheapy weld positioner with a viscometer housing in it.
IMG_2530.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 1377 times
Going for paint.
Going for paint.
30629_118440864850980_2987880_n.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Me as a younger buck fixing a rolled Pumper truck.
Me as a younger buck fixing a rolled Pumper truck.
30629_118440781517655_568191_n.jpg (90.25 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
My first razor weld on my Miller 220 Multimatic after seeing Mr. TIG weld 2 together, lol.
My first razor weld on my Miller 220 Multimatic after seeing Mr. TIG weld 2 together, lol.
IMG_2337.jpg (377.77 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome to the forum.
That's am impressive story, we look forward to your contributions.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

welcome aboard, drizzit. Can't wait to read about your experiences with different welds ... aluminum, silicone bronze and stainless. Can you enlighten as to the difference in volts and wfs for the above mentioned? Instead of burning material and filler, some help would be appreciated on this end.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

BillE.Dee, my next machine to be purchased is going to be a Miller 350P (my local weld supply has a used one for 4K). When I get started I am pretty good at MIG, but really it's been so long and I adjust settings out of feel and habit without thinking about it. I couldn't say any exact
Hard to see but it looks like a TIG weld, 350P with Python gun
Hard to see but it looks like a TIG weld, 350P with Python gun
Aluminum MIG.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1323 times
settings off the top of my head. Once I get my newest welder paid off and get a MIG I'd be more than happy to toss out some numbers.
Cracked motor core that gets filled with honing oil through process. Welded with a 250 AMP spoolgun and a lot of preheat. black sharpie on the inside, rose bud outside. Sharpie disappears weld.
Cracked motor core that gets filled with honing oil through process. Welded with a 250 AMP spoolgun and a lot of preheat. black sharpie on the inside, rose bud outside. Sharpie disappears weld.
Aluminum MIG core repair.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1323 times
inside welds on 6" channel with a 350P and Python gun.
inside welds on 6" channel with a 350P and Python gun.
Aluminum MIG inside .JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1323 times
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, I think your going to love the dynasty 400.

It's what I get the pleasure of using at work and it's been one hell of a machine for me for a couple+ years now.

I suggest when time allows to sit dow. And try all the waveforms back to back and play with the amplitude on AC l. Its very interesting what you can achieve with the amplitude and waveform settings

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk