Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Kodokan
    Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am

Hi, guys! Glad to be a new member of the forum. Been lurking a few days. Can hardly wait to read and learn more.

I'm not a welder, but years ago I borrowed TIG to try a few tacks and running some beads. Didn't get very far, but I enjoyed it. Now I have terminal cancer, haven't worked since 2017, and was thinking that learning to weld might take my mind off my problems.

Got myself registered for the local college vocational welding program. Starts in 2 months. Just for fun. No interest in working until the day I keel over.

Several years ago, I bought a new Lincoln Pro 180 MIG. Don't think I ever used it. Way in the back of the garage, probably covered with mouse poo. Will check on that ASAP.

Yesterday, took delivery of a Lincoln Precision 225 TIG. Probably more TIG than I'll ever need, but that's the idea.

I don't know anything about gear and consumables, so I'm starting to read and shop. Went to the local AirGas. They wanted almost $400usd for an 80cf Argon tank and fill. Looks like I can get it online for less than $300usd.

I've got some very cool welding projects to do. I doubt I'll be able to achieve enough competency to do the finish welding, but at least the fabrication and tack-up.

My ultimate goal would be to make structurally sound and amazingly beautiful dime stacks on aluminum, titanium, and steel. Not sure how much time I have left, so we'll see how far I get. Looking forward to talking to you guys.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s amazing what you can tune out when your hood is down and there’s only the arc and the hiss of the gas. Welcome. And good luck.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hello Kodokan and wlecome to the house. As far as the gas goes, you MIGHT be able to lease a tank of Argon cheaper than buying one. ASk around. I don't know your location, but seems that tank and gas stuff is a bit different in different parts of the states. As far as the machine and consumables,,,lay the stuff out and we'll help you assemble the thing and then get you going. All the best
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi mate what torch came with the welder or do you have one that fits it?
Kodokan

Got the MIG out and cleaned up. Stacked it on the TIG. Probably don't need straps, but they weren't being used.
Cut a thin wood sheet to protect the TIG, but need to check if it blocks any vents. Might make some rubber feet/spacers instead.

Kodokan

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:02 pm Hi mate what torch came with the welder or do you have one that fits it?
The torch that comes with the TIG is a Lincoln PTA-17 12.5' Ultra-Flex Torch (K1782-12).
Includes:
3/32 2%Th Tungsten
3/32 Collet (10N24)
3/32 Collet Body (10N32)
#7 Alumina Nozzle (10N47)

Nice to meet you guys.
Kodokan

Didn't really say much about myself.

Former Roller Derby star. For real. Played on the U.S.A. National Championship Team against the All Japan Team in the Tokyo Dome on live Jap TV for a week-long series. "Bad Attitude" team member in the TV series "Rock 'N' Rollergames". More live shows than I can remember from the Olympic Auditorium, and all over the place.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente for 13 years as an anesthetist, before getting the cancer. Have endless stories that would make your hair stand on end.

Was a top judo black belt for many years. My beloved sensei is Hayward Nishioka.

Been riding motorcycles since age 12. Been building my own custom bikes for many years.

There's a lot more, but it's time to get started on my welding setup!