Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
xalky
    Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

I'd just Like to introduce myself. My name is Marcel and I think I'll be spending a lot more time here....as this site is awesome. I especially like all the videos that Jody produces, they're very informative and just plain, no nonsense, practical stuff. I've been welding mig on and off since the mid 80s. Mostly mild steel, frame type stuff, and a little bit of automotive sheet metal. I'm getting a Longevity 256pi stick/tig/plasma unit and I'm super pumped about that. I'm looking forward to doing some more intricate finesse type stuff with my new machine.

In the meantime I purchased a cart from HF and built a tig cooler a little bit based on this post, except mine has an actual heat exchanger: http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=2&t=1250

I had a pump and a brand new tranny cooler laying around the garage, the rest of the fittings and hose and reservoir cost me about $50.

Marcel
Lincoln IDEALARC DC250 mig setup with Lincoln LN7 wirefeeder and Tweco gun.
Oxyacetylene torch setup
Longevity 256pi Inverter Stick/tig/plasma Rig
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice bit of creativity.

I see there's still plenty of room to add a fan, or even two, should you need it.

Good show!

Steve
xalky

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm waiting for the welding machine to get here so I can neaten up the hoses a little. It works great. I just have it recirculating the water right now but I can't see why this thing won't keep up with the heat produced even without a fan. In reading some of the other posts on DIY coolers, a lot of guys just recirculate 3-4 gallons of water without even running it thru a heat exchanger. I could always put computer fans and run those off a 12v power supply.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into some tig welding. I gotta figure out where I can go scrounge up some stainless and aluminum pieces for free to practice on. I have plenty of mild steel laying around.
Oxyacetylene torch setup
newly_welding
    Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 am

Just curious to see if your machine arrived. Update pics hopefully :D

Regards,
John

http://tig-welding.net
xalky

newly_welding wrote:Just curious to see if your machine arrived. Update pics hopefully :D

Regards,
John

http://tig-welding.net
Yes actually, it's here and the cooler is all hooked up and fine tuned and working great. I'll try to get some new pics posted up this week.
Oxyacetylene torch setup