Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
slabski
    Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:31 pm

It's rude not to say "hi!" when joining a forum, so there it is. :D
Briefly, I am a machinist by trade for the last 22yrs, but the welder here quit so I stepped up a few years back and took the position along with my machining responsibilities. They sent me to a private welding school for two weeks to learn how to TIG weld. I had experience MIG welding from my time in the bodyshop/restoration field but TIG was new. I bought the "welding tips and tricks video's series" and with tons of practice managed to get ASME certified to weld our product line in the pressure vessel industry. I work mainly with carbon steel casting(WCB) and exotic stainless steels. Things have changed a lot here and after a massive layoff, only 11 of us are left and I'm sure the count down timer is ticking. For this reason, I am looking for welding equipment and ideas for a possible future business. I am here to look, listen and learn as I don't really feel I know much.

I will end this with a "dumb, dumb" story. I went to welding school with a shiny new Viking welding helmet but kept complaining to the teacher that I was having trouble seeing the puddle and arc. It wasn't as bad at work (better lighting and more open), but I still found it difficult. I figured it was just old eyes and dim lighting. After two years of welding and passing tests, I decided to change the lens in my helmet, only to find that there was a plastic protective sheet on the inside lens of the helmet! Needless to say, I didn't have to change that lens, and I could finally see how good the 4c helmet really was. lol
Cheers
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Welcome to the house. Your story is funny. Seems that protective packaging is a problem. Had an older neighbor taking over the kitchen as his wife was very ill. He decided to prepare supper using a frozen packed meal. Only forgot to remove the meal from the package. The fire company found the problem and removed the well done meal from the house.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For a side hustle, it’s hard to be a multiprocess welding machine. Stick, TIG and MIG all rolled into a single box, 120/240v capable, and portable. Work in the shop or on-site, hard to beat them. I have one plus two “shop” machines. The multi box has been invaluable and has worked a treat without a single issue.

There’s even new AC/DC TIG models out to fully equip you for all processes (in case you need to do ally or cast products).
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Miller 220 multi process is straight up the bomb. With the addition of a spoolgun you can lay any bead on any material given it's within the welder range. It was my first machine. I have had to upgrade to a larger TIG and a larger MIG will be my next large purchase, but I still use the 220 for most of my welding projects. A company I do business with had a broken Coolmate 4, I asked to buy it, they gave it at no cost, I put in a rebuilt pump I amazingly found for 100 bucks, now the 220 has a CK flex loc 250 water cooled torch. I have hit the thermal protection a few times welding 1/4" aluminum but for the most part it's a non-stop machine. ... flow meters suck though, FYI.
slabski
    Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, stories and equipment suggestions. I appreciate it.