Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
suprjohn
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Hello, I am new to welding. I work on old truck and tractors and like to fabricate so I thought it might be a useful skill. I bought a little flux core MIG from harbor freight, which I call my "hello kitty" welder. Lol I got so I could run a fair bead with it, so I wanted to try TIG. I bought a small Chinese inverter (Jasic 312) which will do stick, TIG and plasma cut (yes, I understand the issues surrounding buying off shore tools; on my budget though, it's the difference between having something and having nothing). I decided to take a TIG class at our local community college and I'm sort of getting something that looks like welding. It's really an art form isn't it? Lol

At any rate, just checking out the forum. Complete noob, don't know all the phrases and acronyms yet, but I'm willing to learn.

John
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Welcome John. If you have questions feel free to ask away.
Be the monkey....
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it really is a skill that very few have come naturally. I was one who was good at just about everything I ever tried. Welding school humbled me quickly. Also, a lot of us started out with notions of just fixing our own things or as a side skill and ended up making a good living at it.

In the future, as far as affordability goes, don't discount buying used, top shelf equipment. Many of which still are capable of professional and elite processes, especially if you have access to a somewhat industrial grade electrical source.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
suprjohn
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks Guys! I'm sure I'll ask some questions. So many terms and phrases and processes...it's kind of like learning a new language! Lol
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

You're right on, when I talk to a non welder, I have to change my speech mode back to normal person because they just stare at me with a blank expression on their face.

BTW There is a song called, "Now he's a welder" A line from it is "He used to be a real nice fella, but now he's just a welder" :D (just a bit of fun there)

Mick