Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
notalentnate
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 am

Huge fan of the great videos I've seen on YouTube. So I decided to join the forum.

Always been interested in welding and finally got my chance at my factory job to try it out and I have to say I love it even more than I thought I would. I haven't really made anything in particular yet mostly just picking up scrap and throwing it together. I have about 6 hours of mig under my belt and am planning to buy one myself in the future to really start practicing.

I have tried tig but am having trouble manipulating the filler rod. I can fuse pretty decent but I just need more practice.

I need to get myself a decent helmet and will start with equipment from there. I am not partial to any brand and don't mind spending money especially when it comes to protection. Any suggestions?

Whew! That was a long winded first post!

I will try to post some pics of my work thus far.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard!

Fusing metal is strangely addictve...

I can't be any help in the welding hood department... I'm one of those old-school dinosaurs. I use a $25 Jackson flip-down hood, and have for 30 years. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a good quality auto-hood, and it would be usefull for my work, but I also keep reminding myself, my #10 green glass lens has never had a dead battery, or "flashed" me because a sensor was in shadow... :lol: I suppose if I were at the bench all the time, it'd be an easy sell, but I spend a lot of time in awkward positions with crap in the way.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Welcome to the forum.

I used my 20.00, school issue, Fibre-Metal hood for 25 years. Only has a 4" x 2" lens but I never needed more than that and the cheater lens fits right in there. It was one of the most leak free hoods I had ever used. Just butt ugly is all, but so was E.T., and all the girls still used to 'awwwww' over him.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.