Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
MichaelP
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

I was fortunate enough to have my late grandfather teach me how to gas weld at age 4 (yes, 4!), then stick weld at age 5 (I am 45 now). Back in high school I MIG welded for my family business, making pallet racking in a small production shop. Eventually supervised the welding shop. I rebuilt a drag car chassis back in 1988 (bought it as a back-half car, crashed it hard when an engine let go at the top end, converted it to a full tube chassis car). That was all mild steel and MIG welding. I have continued welding up hobby projects over the years, either at dad's shop with one of the Millermatic 200 or 250's, or with my own Century 120V MIG (small one I kept in the race car trailer) or Airco Dip-pack 200. A little over a year ago I decided to buy a 4130 race truck chassis and do some modifications, so I picked up an Eastwood TIG200 and started practicing (and watching a bunch of the videos on this site). The chassis turned out to have too many problems, so I ended up tearing it down to a couple of tubes and starting over essentially from scratch. Getting close to the point of having the chassis certified, but just ran into some welding issues (about to post a thread on that).

Regards,
Michael Pliska
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. Its sounds like you caught the bug early.

Mick
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

MichaelP wrote: Getting close to the point of having the chassis certified, but just ran into some welding issues (about to post a thread on that).

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Welcome to the site Michael! Looking forward to your chassis post. There a few motor heads around this place.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

MichaelP

Thanks for the welcome! I posted my question under the TIG forum:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=2778

Here is a link showing my project (towards the top there is a link to the prior posts):
http://www.isspro.com/blog
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Welcome :)

In age of 4, not bad :D
-Markus-
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your project link! Very interesting so say the least. 8-)

"I do my best to always keep the doors closed when doing something noisy, but my neighbors probably still hate me!"
Just wait till you fire that bad boy up about 2:00 AM!!! Then you'll KNOW they hate you. :lol:

Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

MichaelP

Fat Bob wrote:Thanks for sharing your project link! Very interesting so say the least. 8-)

"I do my best to always keep the doors closed when doing something noisy, but my neighbors probably still hate me!"
Just wait till you fire that bad boy up about 2:00 AM!!! Then you'll KNOW they hate you. :lol:

LOL! Actually this will be pretty quiet at an idle since it's an electronically injected diesel. The friend's race truck that I have been driving (MBRP-Sponsored DirtyMax truck) is less noisy than my dually when driving around the pits! The thing they probably hate me for is when I am working on my big-block Vega race car to get ready to leave for a race in the middle of the night. My house has a really steep driveway up to the street (built into the side of a hill), so no way to load the car in the driveway, I have to fire it up and zig-zag it up the driveway diagonally a few times to keep from high-centering, then load it in the trailer up on the street. Even with mufflers on the race car it's still pretty loud, so I only do that in the middle of the night if there is no other choice! By comparison this diesel race truck will be downright quiet! However I will probably bring both of them with me when going to most out-of-town races, and with my luck it will be the Vega that was in the garage being worked on!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200