Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Alumike
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi all. Been hanging around WTT for a while and decided to join in. I'm not a welder by trade, but weld as part of my job. I'm an engine builder/engine machinist and almost all of my welding is tigging of aluminum castings. I've been tigging for about 20-25 years or so. There was a time when there were tons of cracked aluminum heads coming into the shop. I was out sourcing these heads to a couple different local welders, and getting mixed results. Also I couldn't always get stuff done in a timley fashion. As a requirement of getting my auto tech degree many years ago, I was required to take a semester of welding. This was mostly stick and flame welding, as well as brazing and braze welding.
When I decided to fix my own castings, I was lucky enough to buy a P&H machine from an old timer in town. He was going to teach me to tig. Saddly he passed before I could get my machine wired up. Back to school I went. To the same tech college that I graduated from. I took 1 semester of tig, and after that It was just practice, practice, practice. Read. Ask questions. Practice. I still like to practice, and after finding WTT, I have tried to expand my aluminum skills. I sometimes find peices of aluminum scrap and I'll practice on that. Padding beads, lap jounts, fillets, butt joints. In casting repair, none of the welding I did was actually visable. We would always blend it into the casting, or machine it off. I have a few pics of some repairs that I will post.
Anyway, glad to be here,
Mike
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Welcome Alumike.
You probably have a lot to offer concerning those engine heads.
Alexa
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Welcome,

We have some what of a cast guru whom you could bounce ideas off.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, Mike!

20-25 years working with TIG, and cast aluminum experience will make a great addition to the knowledge base here!

Glad to have you!

Steve S.