Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
dhoptoad
    Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi my name is David Hoffman,
I have been welding for many years, but that doesn't mean I am an exceptional welder by any means. I do well enough to get by. I first came to this sight to see if I was missing something about spool gun techniques used on aluminum, as I found myself trying to throw together some frames of 3"x3"x1/4" tubing and soon came to realize the equipment was in adequate without considerable preheating. There for I surmised the equipment was lacking and I led my employer down the wrong path and should have insisted on a push pull gun with a machine that would push 350 amps or better. I finally ended up bringing in my Lincoln Precision Tig 275 and still doing a lot of preheating to get these frames through inspection after a couple of welds were rejected on the 3/4" gussets in the corners from pull away. What a nightmare! I saw how Jody was using a Lincoln MP350, with a push-pull gun that made it look so easy. In 2004 I was welding incline elevator coaches with a Lincoln Invertech and a python gun and never had a lay down or pull away problem with any of that aluminum. Admittedly so most of it was way thinner. I have since watched many of Jody's videos and am definitely investing in some tig fingers in the very near future as the scabs on my pinky and ring finger heal fom overheating.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome. Nothing like a finger burn, eh? A tig finger will help ya with that.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just that much more knowledge added!

Welcome!

Steve S.