Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi, I'm Nathan. Just graduated from welding school in March and I started my first welding job a few weeks ago :D
I really enjoy welding and metal fab. The shop I just got hired on with is a sheet metal fab shop, so I'm getting to learn all kinds of new skills and new tools. One day I want to have my own shop for metal fab and blacksmithing, but that's for another time.

I'm new so I am gonna try and learn a LOT from everyone I can find. Since day one they had me welding stainless, which I had never done. What a trip. I've been mostly doing tig, which is what my specialty was in school, but we just got a new millermatic 350p aluminum to speed up our aluminum jobs.

Anyways, here I am! Ready to learn and be awesome at this work!

*EDIT* I'm in North TX, north of DFW metroplex
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Nathan,

If you've read any of the forum, you've noticed we have members around the world, in almost every conceivable industry, with experience ranging from "what's this button do?" to retired aerospace.

We share a love of welding, and of answering each other's questions. The knowledge base here is awesome, and it's hard to ask a question that can't be answered by someone here. We also like to share our projects, sometimes for critique, sometimes just to "show off" a little. ;)

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Nathan.

Just a curiosity ... but why did you choose to study welding instead of another discipline?

Welcome to the forum.
Alexa
nathan

I used to do medical work. Essentially a CNA. I hated it and hated myself for it, so my wife and I decided I should pursue a new career. I was 22 at the time, so a career change wasn't a big deal.

I wanted something that was:
A. not medical
B. what I consider a "manly" job
C. profitable
D. quick to get into

I like fire, and what's more manly than putting metal together with fire?
Welding school at the local community college was six months at the longest, and I liked the money I saw for some welder positions here in TX and in other places, with relatively low experience. I quit my job so I could go to night class and morning class and finish faster. I finished in four months while honing my resume and finding out what employers wanted me to know. I decided I wanted to get into primarily TIG, because I took to it better than the other processes. And here I am today, welding the world and finally providing for my family while doing something I love! :D

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

Alexa,

Is that question a bit of introspection? Trying to figure out how you became who you are?

I've questioned that, myself.

Steve S

Oddly, I've been welding since I was 13 years old.

I never saw it as a career. I always did other things. MANY other things. When those things didn't go well, I could always weld to pay the bills. I was nearly 40 when I realized welding was what my career should be built around.

Some of us catch on slowly...

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Nathan / Otto.

I enjoyed both of those reads of how welding was initially triggered.

I was soldiering, and would slip up into the mountains for a couple of days. Part of the requirement of passing time with a young mountain woman of whom I was growing fond, was that her Father would 'invite' me to help him with chores. So up at 5 am. Expresso coffee corrected with a shot of moonshine, along with a cheese and ham sandwich would be the quick breakfast before heading off in his truck. Sometimes the mornings were spent downing trees for firewood, or feeding the stock ... but once something was quite new.

He had cut pieces of 1/8" sheet metal that he wanted to fit together as a internal liner for the very large fireplace. He had me hold the pieces as he would draw an electrode. He told me not to look. Then I would hear the crackling sizzling sounds. Upon opening my eyes he had welded the edges together. So when my holding was not needed any longer. I watched him weld, as I shaded my eyes with my hands from the direct welding rays. He was not using a mask. He too would close his eyes, but he was able to drag that rod along the seam of the two edges. To make a long story short ... I knew that I would start welding. Sort of like magic for me to be in molten command. But I use a mask ... except for tacking with wire feed.

Tanks.
Alexa
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
nathan

Awesome story, Alexa! Probably a good choice on the mask.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch