Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
CV_nick
    Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Well here's a brief overview of where im at. Im 22 live in CA want to leave here travel and explore doing what I like. I have been into metal working since I was 17 when I built a custom bumper for my first truck with a hand me down lincoln 225. Have been doing it ever since and love it. I work at a fabrication shop that has been around for 20+ years. Currently I am the only employee ive been there almost 2 years. I prep fab weld and install everything unless we get over booked then my boss jumps in or we hire other hands. We make handrails and guardrails mostly commercial stuff not much ornate work. all mig welding in the shop and field oxy/acetylene only not even a plasma cutter. Its a very basic shop but it gets done what we need to do. I just bought a tig/stick and have been practicing my Butt off. I want to break out an go weld on pipelines eventually where would my best bet be moving? should i try to hire on as a welders helper or go to a welding school first? I really want to do this and will move anywhere and work as hard as i can to make it happen. I have nothing holding me back from going right now.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard!

If you're serious about pipeline welding, focus on stick (smaw). Most "in the field" pipeline welders are either "rig welders" who own all their own equipment and charge machine rental to the company, or "single-hand" welders who do the same job with company-supplied equipment.

There are easier ways to make money welding, but pipeliners are among the most independent.

Steve S
CV_nick
    Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I realize its all smaw i had a chance to buy a used sa250d for a good price but didn't cause I don't have certs or experience. Ive heard welding school is a waste really and to just hire on as a helper at first to learn how the whole pipeline works. I know there are easier ways to make money but this has been what I've wanted to do for a while and not just for the money. I dont understand how you can practice for a 12 on 12 branch test cause that seems like the test most of the employers give. should i just pack up and head to ND and find a job as a helper and learn as i go?
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

CV_nick wrote:Well here's a brief overview of where im at. Im 22 live in CA want to leave here travel and explore doing what I like. I have been into metal working since I was 17 when I built a custom bumper for my first truck with a hand me down lincoln 225. Have been doing it ever since and love it. I work at a fabrication shop that has been around for 20+ years. Currently I am the only employee ive been there almost 2 years. I prep fab weld and install everything unless we get over booked then my boss jumps in or we hire other hands. We make handrails and guardrails mostly commercial stuff not much ornate work. all mig welding in the shop and field oxy/acetylene only not even a plasma cutter. Its a very basic shop but it gets done what we need to do. I just bought a tig/stick and have been practicing my Butt off. I want to break out an go weld on pipelines eventually where would my best bet be moving? should i try to hire on as a welders helper or go to a welding school first? I really want to do this and will move anywhere and work as hard as i can to make it happen. I have nothing holding me back from going right now.
if you think you want to live the wandering gypsy pipewelder's lifestyle check out rigwelders.com and scour the back posts. it's got loads of 411 about where the work is and what you will need to do it.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, Nick.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 am

I never went to school and worked my way up from fire-watch to fitting and structural fabrication in 3 years of doing either turnaround repairs on tanks or ground-up tank farms and all the pipeline and pumps associated with it. I lived on every major Hawaiian island and even did a couple of jobs in the South Pacific. I truly enjoyed the traveling to new places along with the camaraderie and friendships I still have to this day. Some folks have their years in the Military to look back upon, I have my 7 years on the pipeline.

That said, I had the serious advantage of being the head engineer's son, and while it didn't always feel like a plus when I first started with the firm and earned the nickname "Junior", I soon realized that I had special privileges including the keys to my own rig and use of all the companies tools with which to practice and use to fix and fab.

That said, if you don't mind living out of Rubbermaid tubs and sleeping in your car until you find a solid firm that pays decent Per Diem on top of your wages, then hit that highway. Just make sure not to burn any bridges on your way out of California, leave your current job with as much notice as it takes for them to not be left short handed as it sounds like they treat you fairly, and if you get sick of the Gypsy Life it will be nice to have somewhere to come home to. Those were some of the best times of my life and I made some pretty good coin too, but I'm glad you said "it's not all about the money" because I spent those dollars long ago, but the memories will be gold forever.

BTW, from what I've heard from friends still in the field, ND is the "Wild West" and you will most likely be living with the guys you work with(if not in a tent) since it is that crowded and real estate is scarce...

Good Luck and keep us posted on your adventures...Aloha, Chuck.
Hood Time is a Good Time!

Avatar photo is from 1992, on Maui.