Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
cocobolo
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Greetings one and all. I learned how to weld (oxy-acetylene only) about 50 years ago. 15 years later, I got a Lincoln buzz box, that was great until someone "borrowed" it. Followed that with a cheapie 90 amp mig. Haven't done any appreciable amount of welding in the past 20 years but now starting on the build of my '35 Chevy...from the ground up.
I'm leaning toward the Everlast multi function Tig machine, thanks to Jody's videos, as I think it will do all that I need.
Looking forward to learning from all you experts out there, so thanks in advance for any and all help you might see fit to give.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, cocobolo,

I don't know about "experts", but you'll hear of many "experiences" here, positive and negative, that may help you along your way.

Everything I've read and watched suggests you have a good machine with good customer service.

I love a good classic car project.

Steve S
cocobolo
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks for your reply "Otto"...I have already seen a whole lot of your posts, and there's not much doubt that you have a ton of experience with all this stuff.

I do have one small ace in the hole here, and that is a friend of mine has been a welding inspector for 43 years. Not much he doesn't know about, but unfortunately he has a pacemaker now and can no longer get near any sort of electric welder.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually, the concerns about welding and pacemakers has been overblown somewhat.

He probably shouldn't be within a meter of an arc, but he can look over your shoulder with little chance of interference. Also the pacemaker interference is felt easily, and stepping back stops it.

Not that I'm recommending your friend get closer than he's comfortable with, but he can safely be in the same shop with you, and provide feedback on your work.

(I've done quite a bit of research on this. Not all pacemakers are made equal, so there's no sense taking a chance, but recent models are well shielded against EMI, and some pacemaker patients will do DC stick without issues.)

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

welcome to the forum. that's a very interesting screen name. the last time i heard that is when a co-worker was making reference to a cocobolo shampoo.