Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
glmartin
    Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm a new member but not new to this site. Ive been viewing the youtube videos on various topics and I've learned quite a bit. This is truly a great site. I'm a retired telecommunications Engineer and a retired Navy Senior Chief Electricians Mate. I recently moved up from a Lincoln 225 to an AVORTEC AV5X TIG/STICK/Plasma Wow what a leap. I'm not new to welding but it's been awhile and the terminalogy has changed somewhat. Like HeliArc is now TIG and STICK is SMAW/MMA. Learning what rod is for what is some what of a challange but most welding sypply houses just carry the basic rods. I'm learning to weld Aluminum, at frist it was a challange getting my machine setup to do what I wanted it to do but the knobs can be your friends once you know how to use them. This past weekend I posted the lans for a DIY welding rod oven for those interested it is at this link.
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=9&t=3701
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Ah..

So that was YOUR rod oven. Nice work. A very simple solution to a problem so many people tend to overthink. I've seen old, surplus medical autoclaves used as rod ovens.

Welcome.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Lt1z350
    Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:50 pm

For any one that sees this and curious about the av5x+ by avortec it is one powerful badass machine. I can tig anything I want with it thick thin steel aluminum most of the time have to turn it way down as it has some serious power. Settings they use on the everlast in videos if I use them it is too hot. I use half the amps normally and weld the same type material. Beautiful welds and I am a beginner. The plus is it cuts too. Adjusted right it can cut 1/4 inch steel easy on low setting with zero slag. Better cuts then my buddies 1800 dollar plasma cutter A hypertherm. Easy as switching cables turning a valve. 1 min as seen some say it looked like a pain to setup between cutting and welding. Had it a few months now and extremely happy. Have over 20 hours on it so far no issues. Talked to owner Jeff and a great guy so if had issue no problems getting it fixed I would imagine. Any questions on fence on buying one I can let u know anything about it as cannot find much on this forum about it. Welds as nice if not better then they syncrowave we have at work.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks for the information and welcome to the site Lt1z350! Sorry it took so long to approve your first post. :oops:
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Lt1z350 wrote: ... most of the time have to turn it way down as it has some serious power. Settings they use on the everlast in videos if I use them it is too hot. I use half the amps normally and weld the same type material.
Wait, so you're Telling me that this machine is magic?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

GreinTime wrote:
Lt1z350 wrote: ... most of the time have to turn it way down as it has some serious power. Settings they use on the everlast in videos if I use them it is too hot. I use half the amps normally and weld the same type material.
Wait, so you're Telling me that this machine is magic?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep, and it has its own magic psychedelic lighting built in! Sounds like machine is way out of calibration. That's a huge negative for any machine. Jody should get some hippie clothing and turn the lights down then do a review of the machine. He'd probably get laughed off the internet.