Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
caliwelder510
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Hey everyone! Decided to join up since I have some questions concerning certifications I would like to acquire (based on job postings)
I'm currently d1.1 certified as well as asme section IX.
Also I have an FCAW cert (not sure if there's a code or proper shortform name for that... such as d1.1 or whatever) and two upgrades to my asme so that I'm certified for just about any diameter carbon pipe with either a 6010 root/hotpass or GTAW root/hot and 7018 fill and cap.
I recently graduated from Missouri Welding Institute and I regret not being able to get my TIG out cert. Theres a lot of money to be made in walking the cup.

I'm currently looking for work in california or elsewhere and wanting to know if anyone knows of any companies out here comparable to pro energy and the like. I'd rather not have to fly back out to the midwest rent a car etc if I can find a comparable company out here.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

I grew up in SW MO, and learned to weld there. However, Arthur, IA is the farthest west of the Mississippi I've worked. I'm currently near New Orelans, and am ASME-IX for TIG stainless. I think I'm limited to 3/8", but since I don't approach that in my application, I'd have to review my papers... :?

We have some west coast guys here who may be able to make suggestions, and if you've reviewed the entire forum, you've seen there is a specific sub-forum regarding certifications, as well as one for employment (though neither see much traffic, yet).

The folk at IPR (Industrial Projects Report magazine), who publish the "hotsheet", also have a forum, which you might want to investigate. It's a higher concentration of industrial traveling workers than we have here. Here's a link:

http://www.industrialprojectsreport.com/forum/forum.php

The site has been very recently upgraded to a new BB code, and is working through a few bugs, so traffic is down.

There is also http://www.roadtechs.com, a traveling-contractor specific job board.

Good luck!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum 510.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200