Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
dsegler
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 pm

I've never used a forum before, so I may be a little thick in the head on here. :lol:
I'm one step above a beginner welder. Everything I know has been learned the hard way. (Self taught with a lot of welds looking like the back side of a chicken)
I love getting the weekly Welding TV from Jody. Thanks Jody
I would like to know if anyone can tell me how the knobs on my PrecisionTig 275 compare to the settings on the Inverters that Jody uses on his videos. I get totally confused. see attached photo of the welder front panel.
Attachments
welder front panel.JPG
welder front panel.JPG (56.96 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

I've welded miles of aluminum with a PrecisionTig 375 in the past. I may be able to help, and several others here have extensive aluminum experience. I also have extensive stainless experience, though I've rarely used pulse features on it, except outside corners on light-gauge metal.

Steve S
dsegler

Thanks!!!
I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get.
I made some brackets for my garden a couple of days ago with some scrap 1" stainless tubing I had laying around. I had to make 2 curved cuts to make it fit together so I could weld it. I kept blowing holes in the metal & couldn't get it to flow very good. Using 3/32 ER308 rod & 1/16 Lanth. electrode with a #5 cup. The settings are what you see on the welder. I had max amps at 110 (just guessed where to set it) using a foot pedal. I'd show a photo of the weld, but don't want to be too embarrassed.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just as general guidance, when I weld sch. 10 ss pipe (about 1/8" wall thickness), I'm rarely above 65 amps. For sch. 5, about 16 ga. or 1/16", I'm rarely above 45 amps, except at the start to establish the puddle (in either case).

Using a pedal, where you set the machine is just personal preference... The pedal, and your use of it, determines the weld current. Personally, I like to set the machine for the hottest I'd like to limit myself to for the weld, and use the pedal to modulate the current. I know others who prefer to set the machine wide-open, and control everything from the pedal.

Steve S
dsegler

Thanks Steve!!! I'll try those settings. I still don't know what al those knobs are for & how to use them.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

dsegler wrote:Thanks Steve!!! I'll try those settings. I still don't know what al those knobs are for & how to use them.
Look read the manual that came with it or download the manual and read it....
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site!

Here's a link where you can find operator and parts manuals for you welder.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... &type=text
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

dsegler

Thanks Bob. I'll look at that web site for the manuals!!!
dsegler

I just bought a new TIG machine Everlast EXT 255. I'm having trouble with the WP-20 torch. When I turn on the water it comes out where the gas should be coming out. I hooked up the machine like the manual says. So I don't know if I did something wrong. Sprays water out the cup when you turn on the water pump on. Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong
(:>((
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You flip flopped a couple of lines. The one hooked to your water outlet is your gas line that's why you have water coming out the cup. Do they use the same size threaded fittings on all three hoses?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Don't remember exactly what video by to know Jody did something similar and had to wash out his lines Ti to make sure to clean the lines for normal welding. I'll try and find it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

on a normal torch the gas goes thru the power line.
For the water-cooled torch you run the water return thru the power line. Gas and cold water thru the two separate smaller hoses, you already figured out which one is gas ;) .