Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
JoeC79
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey guys. My name is Joe. New to the forum. Not so new to welding. Wanted to say hello. And invite anyone that wants to to go ahead and say hello. Ask me anything about myself tell me about yourself and talk welding. I have about 15 years experience. Multiple processes.
If you spit on it and it sizzles don't pick it up bare handed.
^o^
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard, Joe,

We welcome your input as much as any questions you would ask!

Steve S
JoeC79

OK thanks.. And because I'm feeling chatty tonight I'll ask a question. During my 10 years weldingx ray on submarines I never had to use Flux core (dual shield) . At my new job we use a lot of Flux core. My question is when I'mrunniing it I seem to get an ugly weld. Especially using 308 wire. I noticed that all the welders where I am have the same issue. Some great welders some I can see why there's look like poo. Why is Flux core prone to looking lumpy or wavy. Spray transfer. 045. 28.5v 285-305 ipm. Pipe set in rollers and gun locked in a drill press vise. 98%-2% large Cup. 35 cfh. Nice new contact tips and liner. Feed Is smooth. I've ruled out poor hand position by having it locked down. Ruled out. Gas issues ruled out poor fit ups also.. What can I do to make a really smooth nice looking high quality weld using Flux core wire?
^o^
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@Steve
There's been quite a bit of chatter about gas mixes and I was wondering if this is the case where the addition of Oxygen to the gas may shine. I know very little about the Mig welding side of things, but I'm trying to put together some thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of certain gases.

@Joe
Welcome to the nut house.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
JoeC79

Unfortunately our weld engineer makes us follow the written procedures. We can not decided ourselves what gas we use. That said I have (accidentally) left the 02 argon mix hooked up and run some Fluxc ore with it.
Not much difference in the appearance of the weld. The weld itself isn't hideous looking but it's just not. Smooth and nice. When I spray. 045 bare wire it's very nice looking. So smooth you can't feel it.
^o^
GreenGunner
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:16 pm

if it weren't for us noobs, a lot of professions would die out ;)
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Joe welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
JoeC79

Thanks mike
^o^