Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mikey_tater
    Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey fellas, I am completely new to welding. I had a class or two in high school back in the late eighties, but who can remember that blessed time. Anyways, the question that I have is would any of you gamble on a Systematics PBE140. I called 1-800-abc-weld, and the man I talked to said that it was comparable to a Snap-On Mig140. What I noticed in researching the machine is that it has a 100% duty cycle and the Snap-On has a 60%. The Snap-On runs new $2,400. This is a used model that I can get for $450. If I could get your input and guidance on this it would be awesome!

This is a link to the PBE140 http://www.800abcweld.com/store/index.p ... ction=show

Oh, by the way, I am wanting to get a machine for home hobby use. My first project is going to be a 1947-1953 five window Chevy truck. Subframe installation, and body repair will be majority of the use for now. I guess I should have first asked, if the PBE140 is big enough to weld in a subframe?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there, from what I hear, if it's comparable to a snap-on mig, do not touch it. Their tools are evidently good but their welders are embarrassing crap. (allegedly) have a look at Hobart handlers, APB, THERMAL DYNAMICS, everlast and of course Lincoln and miller. And for subframe (structural?) step up to a bigger machine, 180 amp at least. Also duty cycle don't mean anything unless you have an amperage value. ie- 60% @150amps or 100%at 80 amps etc.
mikey_tater

Thanks Mike 27. These are the things that a guy like myself likes to hear. Words of wisdom go a long way for a guys pocketbook. Since I'm on a limited budget do to disability, I need my pocketbook to be a miracle worker.

Oh, I forgot that the duty cycle for each machine that I gave was at the maximum 140amps.

No probs. Research is your friend. Jody has done some reviews of 110v migs and given good videos. I'd stay away from snap on because it is an off shoot from their primary business. You don't buy a computer from GMC right? I hear the ahm (excuse the error before, yellow migs) are supposed to be good.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I, too, would flee from a "Snap-On" welder.

I'll buy their hand tools all day. their pneumatic tools are also high quality. However, for welders and other complex electronics, they buy cheap crappy imports and re-brand them. A buddy of mine spent $2400 USD on a Snap-On MIG welder, and I literally laughed when I opened the case. The current Chinese bottom-of-the-line machines look about as good.

The Hobart Handler series has more potential, and much easier access to consumables, parts, and actual customer service.

Steve S

We have a tool company here in Australia, Kincrome. They are not as good as snap on but pretty good. They have started to sell all sorts of workshop equipment, most of which is cheap Chinese crap, I can't see why they would sully the good name for a cheap quick buck
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I had two different snap-on migs and one of their plasma cutters in the 90s. I forget the model numbers, but they were pretty sad considering how expensive they were. I was glad when I sold them.
Just my .02
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
mikey_tater

Thanks for the input fellas! I have a lot better understanding now of what to look for. Just need to bide my time and find the right deal.

You guys are the greatest!!

Keep up the great work helping us schmucks. :D