Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
itslogz
    Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Im sure i'll be trolling alot since im very new to the welding scene. I'm from NC (23 years old) hoping to in the next year or so make a hike up to ohio and possibly attend the hobart welding institute. Thanks to my father in law I have a synchrowave 250 for practicing with. This is my 3rd attempt at a fillet joint below (3/32 hobart 7018 90ish amps DCEP 1/4" plate) I was so proud to get it looking relatively right that I decided to post it along with my intro haha. Maybe one day I can post regularly besides asking questions.

Also guys I guess I just have sensitive eyes, but I wanted to ask along with my intro, I can only weld it seems with a shade 12 or 13 to not have small blind spots like a camera flash in my eyes when im done running a bead. Is this typical for some people? I read alot of people mostly 10 or 11 is common, i know everyones different, i just wanted to see if anyone else was similar as well.

Thanks for all the great info on here guys, ive watched nearly every one of jodys videos while I warmed up to where im at now, which isnt very far.
Last edited by itslogz on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

I assume your definition of "trolling" is different from the standard internet definition, and you mean it in the way a fisherman means it; Gathering as much as you can.

Bless you for having eyes that require a shade 12 or more. This is not rare, but is not quite the average. Use the darkest lens you can work with, and protect those eyes! You'll thank yourself later.

I see nothing wrong with the weld in your post; In fact, it looks quite good. Considering the time you have under the hood thus far, that's excellent.

Steve S
itslogz

haha I actually meant more like "creeping" and reading with not much info to offer as of right now, just like you said, not sure why I put trolling lol. Thanks for the reply.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

itslogz wrote:haha I actually meant more like "creeping" and reading with not much info to offer as of right now, just like you said, not sure why I put trolling lol. Thanks for the reply.
Ahh.

"Lurking" (Observing).

Lurk all you want. I'm sure you'll be posting. It's hard "not" to, with the discussions that go on, here. Every welding topic under the Sun. Yard art or rocket science, and everything in between, it's here.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Im with Steve looks good to me.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Sprockmonster
    Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Are you using An AD hood? You may have to mess with the settings a bit because the delay might be too short after you stop.
    Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

The quality of your hood is important at work I use a cheap Jackson ad (that they supply) it's hard for me to find the right shade with it. My miller only needs a little adjustment when going from dark (inside) to bright (outside)
Quality does matterImage
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I'd be proud to say that was one of my welds. Very Good Job.

Welcome to the forum. !
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
itslogz

Hood is a Hobart "pro" series. Basically the cheaper version of the miller digital elite I believe? I also have a cheap hobart flip front from northern tool that ive played with the shades in, tryed a gold #10, only way i can get away with not seeing spots is if i position my head in which the rod mostly blocks it, and keep a reallll close arc at all times. Also swapped a standard #11 in it, same issue

Could ambient light play a huge factor in this? or is the brightness of the arc going to effect the same way, just more ambient light would help with seeing the surroundings. The shop i am working in has fairly low lighting.
    Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Where I work at some guys wear a shade 3 safety glasses under there hoods so they don't get flashed by other welders beside them and yes I would show off that weld if it was mine
stevenopolis
    Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 am

I'd be proud of that for sure! I have the same eye issue. I run my optrel at 12 for all stick, get the little circle vision if I'm cooking big rod or big wire. The sunglasses inside the hood helps, I do that outside in the summertime a lot. But again man, nice looking weld, practice practice practice until you can't anymore. Then practice some more.