Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

Just wanted to say hi and say thanks to everyone who freely teaches and shares their ideas, tips and tricks and their knowledge in this forum and others.

I'm new to the forums and welding itself. I have been reading and watching videos and even found some old books my dad had laying around in the garage from the past and the more I look into welding the more I want to do.

Not really sure where I want to go with welding as far as career or hobby, but I'm in the concrete trade and winters get a bit slow, so I was thinking of using that time to do some welding.

I'm in my 30's and was thinking about going to school but like I said above, not sure I want to make a career out of it. So a question I have is would it be worth investing in tuition for full classes or someone told me maybe find somewhere offering "refresher classes." but no diploma..

Anyways, Just saying "hey"
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Welcome from Bemidji :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Welcome from Bemidji :)
Thanks MD!

Mound (Lake Minnetonka) here.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome to the forum. :D
Cheers
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome onekey.

For anything I always think formal training is best. For welding, you get grounding in safety, how to assemble all the cables and hoses correctly, how the machine works, electrode types and uses and correct welding methods before you develop bad positional habits.

An introductory course is low cost and gets you going. You don't have to spend big bucks on higher level welding if you're not going to use it. Just my thoughts.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'