Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Jay1947
    Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Hello all. Bought a cheap Northern mig welder to teach myself to weld. Got a few retirement projects and finally have the time. Only problem is my teacher doesn't know how to weld. Help !!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Jay,

Ask away!

What do you know... I'm a poet and wasn't aware of it...

:roll:

Steve S
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome, Jay. You can find the answers to pretty much any welding related questions here.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Jay.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Jay!
Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum. One of my best kept secrets, is about how I originally learned to weld. When I was still in high school, a job with a company in the neighborhood where I lived (Chicago, south side) that did mainly ornamental iron products, fences, handrails, etc. I was curious about the welders, and really wanted to learn to weld once I found out that they were making $2.10 per hour! WOW! Anyway, I would watch them and ask questions.

Now, there was a neighborhood tavern near there, and these two guys who had their own welding rigs and welding companies used to hang out there. So, after work, I would go into the bar, plunk down my .40 cents for a glass of beer (I wasn't old enough to drink, but no one cared) and ask the old boys welding questions. I learned an amazing amount about welding! I also had to put up with an amazing amount of BS and lies ... but as I get older I learned it is just how the old guys have fun.

Good luck! Watch videos from Weldingtipsandtricks.com and if you have any questions, bring them to the Forum!

Boomer63
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Jay.

Welcome to the forum!
Best way to start welding is viewing Jody's (and others) welding videos as he explains it all. Whether it is stick mig or tig, he has a full set of starting videos about it. I know I watched them when I bought a Mig welder! Very good info.

And then, get some pieces of scrap metal and burn away... The only way to learn is to do it...