Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
bm237
    Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Haha, I wish!!!! Almost never get a pimp, and out of position welds are the norm in my trade. Hello everyone . :ugeek:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sooo...

A "pimp" is what, a "Peon In a Menial Position?" :lol:

First time I've heard that term for a helper.

Welcome aboard! What trade?

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
bm237

Yeah, a pimp is a helper, I am a Union Boilermaker. Local 237, East Hartford, Ct.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

bm237 wrote:Yeah, a pimp is a helper, I am a Union Boilermaker. Local 237, East Hartford, Ct.
Wouldn't that make the welder the "ho"?

Seems a little backwards? :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Or a man ho.... According to Duce Biggelow.
bm237

Yes, man-whores!! Because a pimp can take of several ho's!!!( welders) And he needs those ho's to make money, cut without ho's a pimp ain't a pimp!!!! Of course, lady welders are just that, ladies, definitely not ho's. :D

bm237 wrote:Yes, man-whores!! Because a pimp can take of several ho's!!!( welders) And he needs those ho's to make money, cut without ho's a pimp ain't a pimp!!!! Of course, lady welders are just that, ladies, definitely not ho's. :D
Okay, that makes (twisted) sense. Which is my favorite kind of sense.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

bm237 wrote:Yes, man-whores!! Because a pimp can take of several ho's!!!( welders) And he needs those ho's to make money, cut without ho's a pimp ain't a pimp!!!! Of course, lady welders are just that, ladies, definitely not ho's. :D
Pimps are in charge of ho's - definitely not the case with the helper/welder arrangement.

Now, if the welders suck, the helper can legitimately say "hey, go weld something so I have something to grind!" :lol:

...Good thing this is a serious welding forum, otherwise we'd be off track or something :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
bm237

It's more of a mutual arrangement. Nobody is in charge of the other. We call em pimps, but it is more like a runner. They get shit you need, make adjustments to your machine, etc. Hell, everyone on the job might be welders, so you might pimp for someone on one job, on another job, they may pimp for you. A lot of times, they are apprentices, wich helps them because they can watch and learn and ask questions.
pennswoodsed
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:38 pm

OJT on job training ? ,last I heard of that I was in the saddle on my brontosaurus . Good to hear . I thought it 85% valuable . Well worth the cost . But that was long ago and far away.
Regards,Ed

Admittedly, it's been several years since I worked with boiler animals, or built a grassroots, but I've never heard a helper called a pimp.

I guess it's some new lingo for the next generation, and I'll just let it go.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The next generation seems to have, or need, no explanation of their lingo. Just in the last week, my daughter has stopped me say "totes amaze "( totally amazing /amazed) because that's old and now has me saying "totes XD" because that's the text emoji for someone laughing hysterically. You actually have to say the xd