Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Kyamyadog
    Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 am

I recently graduated after 16 months of welding school. I certified in AWS D1.1, API 1104 & ASME IX Critical Pipe.
I was certified structural but went back to school to learn pipe. I am a bit older then the average graduate but
love to weld. I prefer stick and would like to get a position welding pipe. Can anyone point me in the right direction
to get me back under the hood ASAP. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Give us little more information and someone here will be able to help. Tell us what part of the country you're in will make it a lot easier for the good folks here help you.

I'm moving your post to the Introduction where you'll get more views.

Welcome to WT&T!!
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Have you looked into Fluor?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Kyamyadog

Sorry guys.I should use my head for more then a hat rack.I'm from central PA and love to SMAW
Weld.I have AWS DI.I , API 1104 & ASME IX 2G Critical pipe. My dream job would be on a pipe line.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.Sorry again for being a little dense.

Chuck
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No apology needed, Chuck,

You're in new territory. You're to be forgiven for not knowing the customs on your first visit to Madrid or Athens...

Central PA... So, east of Pittsburg, and west of Harrisburg? There's tons of pipe and pipeline work available, but it's tough to break out when you're fresh from school.

I'd suggest looking for a shop job that does pipeline support, like building compressor stations, or even pipe spools for compressor stations, as the shops are easier to get in to. A year or two burning rod on a real job that x-rays your stuff will go a long way to getting you in on a pipeline crew. Keep your search as close as you can to pipeline and pipeline support, so your skills and the jobs you put in your resume' are a good match for the job you really want.

Most of the pipeline outfits say they want 5 years' experience. This is to discourage the newbies. Build a resume' of at least a year in a close field, and you can get in.

[EDIT] Some of the old hands in a pipe-fab shop will be people who got burned out on pipeline work, and have the connections you need.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I would suggest that you be at your local Sheetz store at 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning and start a conversation with the guys in weld trucks who show up for their morning coffee. I see no less than 6 different weld rigs at the Sheetz in Butler in the morning when I'm heading to work about 5:30. Find out where these guys have a drink in the evenings, get out there and talk to them. If you want to find hogs, go to the watering hole, maybe that advise was for something else. :) Hire on as a helper with somebody and get your foot in the door.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
donbappy
    Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 am

Congratulations on completing your welding course . I suggest you go on line and check out United Association of Plumbers & Pipefitters Union website. They have a great apprentice program and are always looking for qualified welders. Don't worry about being too old. You have a great opportunity if you pursue it . You should present yourself at a local union hall .Talk to the business manager show your certs and [ASK ]for a job. Don't give up ! Good Luck.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

donbappy wrote:Congratulations on completing your welding course . I suggest you go on line and check out United Association of Plumbers & Pipefitters Union website. They have a great apprentice program and are always looking for qualified welders. Don't worry about being too old. You have a great opportunity if you pursue it . You should present yourself at a local union hall .Talk to the business manager show your certs and [ASK ]for a job. Don't give up ! Good Luck.
'Dahfuq?

Welcome, donbappy,

Before you start recruiting for a union, would you mind introducing yourself to the community? We have a section for that...

Steve S
Kyamyadog

I'm really glad I found this forum. You are one hell-of-a-good bunch of guys.I will try all of the tips till
I find my niche. Since I caught the bug I don't want to do anything but weld. I will let you know how I
make out. I will definitely help out on here when I can. THANK-YOU again.