Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Greetings,

Retired Navy, 22 years, 11 months and 4 days. Brand new beginning welding student currently enrolled in a 900 hour course with ArcLabs.

I've been interested in the metal arts since I joined the Navy but the recruiter lead me to the administrative side of the ship. Did that for my entire career including 2 tours with Marine Corps units.

Now that I've retired, I can do what I want.

I started my road to a welding career Monday with a little classroom time to discuss safety and other related subjects, got issued some gear and then hit the shop floor with hands on oxy-propylene cutting metal plates to grind and practice stringers and whip beads on using 6010 and 7018 (SMAW).

It's actually fun to be black in the learning environment working hard, sweating my ass off, going home tired like I just built a pyramid with a smile on my face.

:mrgreen:
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

You've found a great place to participate as a student of welding. Here, those of us with 30 years in are wise enough to consider ourselves students, and behave accordingly.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome aboard! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
I like this place already. :lol:

This is the boss chaplain and I hanging out in lovely downtown Marjeh, Afghanistan. Me on the right.

I already appreciate the bits of knowledge I've gained from watching the videos.

Thanks again for the welcome.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Easy10pins,
First off thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for putting your ambitions on hold to serve our country and most of us would be honored to help you learn a new trade. You don't have to be intimidated here about asking even the most fundamental questions in fear of being put down for not knowing. We have members here at all levels of experience who are willing to share what we know.

Entering into a classroom for welding will teach you the basics and a stretch on this forum will give you a doctor's degree if you take the time to become a student of the trade and not just a welder. There are people here from all fields and quite a few countries who weld and fabricate many different things.

As you progress in your schooling there will be many questions that will pop into your head, take a note pad with you and write them down and when you get home share them here and you'll be surprised at the feedback that you'll receive. This truly is a place of higher education when it comes to all things welding.

Good luck in your career as a welder.

Len

P.S. a first name makes the responses a little more personal if you don't mind sharing (or last name if it makes you feel at home :) ).
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

First name is Rodney, nickname is Hootie. 8-)

I view welding as an art form which is how I'm approaching it from a technical perspective.

I will also be more than happy to post my progress from week to week. I'll start a new thread for the work I've already done.

Thanks again for the welcome. You guys are awesome.
Braehill wrote:Easy10pins,
First off thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for putting your ambitions on hold to serve our country and most of us would be honored to help you learn a new trade. You don't have to be intimidated here about asking even the most fundamental questions in fear of being put down for not knowing. We have members here at all levels of experience who are willing to share what we know.

Entering into a classroom for welding will teach you the basics and a stretch on this forum will give you a doctor's degree if you take the time to become a student of the trade and not just a welder. There are people here from all fields and quite a few countries who weld and fabricate many different things.

As you progress in your schooling there will be many questions that will pop into your head, take a note pad with you and write them down and when you get home share them here and you'll be surprised at the feedback that you'll receive. This truly is a place of higher education when it comes to all things welding.

Good luck in your career as a welder.

Len

P.S. a first name makes the responses a little more personal if you don't mind sharing (or last name if it makes you feel at home :) ).