Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Chuckie_818
    Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 am

Hello Folks,

I'm looking forward to this forum as I'm a member of a couple other forums for completely unrelated topics and I know first-hand that the best way to learn (for me at least) is from someone else, just like me, doing or trying to do the same freakin thing..lol

I'm hoping to perhaps squeeze a little guidance right here out of this very first post...lol
I'm looking to eventually join a welders union. I hope I'm allowed to mention unions here because I know there are people who are extremely for and also extremely against and even hate them. I don't care to argue this or try to persuade anyone else out of what they believe to be the right stance for them. I am however extremely pro-union. Having been a member of IATSE (stage and film production union) for over a decade now I know the pros (and of course there are definite cons) to being a union brother and I say union everytime.

Unfortunately, I recently moved to CO from NYC where I got most of my work and therefore I'm looking at welding for future options. I currently live in Colorado and I'm curious as to what type of welding I should be looking into so I don't have to travel too far out of state. I'm not a pussy and I don't mind traveling but I'm under the impression that CO is a hotspot for welding jobs. Am I correct in thinking this?

Also I'm not sure which union would specialize in the type of welding that would allow me the most work in CO. If that makes any sense. I'm definitely in this for the $$ at the end of the day as well as mastering something artful. Mainly the money though so which type of welding should I be focused on?

Alot of you would laugh at me because I am COMPLETELY NEW. I don't even understand most of the terminology, so I have quite the curve ahead of me. I realize this and that's ok. But can someone point me to a basic guide where it explains the different abbreviations and what not? I know I sound like an idiot but I promise I'm not one. That's why I'm confident I can eventually do this. I seem to focus on and then master anything new that I'm into. Not to downplay the difficulty and sound too incredibly ignorant as I know I'm a complete noob. This will take many years.

I've noticed that there seem to be a few possible shortcuts. For example the boilermakers website says that if I already have previous welding ability or experience then they can put me at the top of the apprenticeship candidates list. The apprenticeship program would be my personal best-case-scenario as far as my inexperienced-ass sees it. I understand that these can have extensive multi-year waiting lists unless your certs put you near the top.

So it's my understanding that if I go take two semesters at a school who's focus is passing certifications, then I go for a basics semester and then also a tube welding semester and get my tube cert, I should be able to get at the top of one of these apprenticeship eligibility lists, right?

Does this sound feasible to anyone?

Thanks for your help, hopefully someone sees this..
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Chuckie welcome to the forum.
You could start your own company.
Keep yourself local and control your income.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Buy 4 cases of beer and Jody's video series. Have a sit down. After you watch them all a few times go sign up for a welding class at a trade school or a nighttime adult continued education class(if they still have those).Community colleges often have something. No big bux required.
Edit: The vids are all out there free but having them in a library format for quick review is a gem.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Chuck.

There's some soundness to your idea, if you can afford to pay for the training. You can skip a good part of most union apprenticeships with a good performance on a skills test, and begin at a higher pay rate. Since you're new to welding (and presumably the industrial and commercial job sites where you'd be working), some apprenticeship time is still required so you can become familiar with the job circumstances and all the various other trades you'll be working around while still under the guidance of someone already familiar.

I have never been in a union (not because of opposition, just by circumstance). My first industrial job, a coal/natural gas cogeneration power plant, I was 38 years old, and despite years of welding for a living, I had a sharp learning curve.

I'll have to see if I can get Delraydella involved in this conversation, as he welds (among other skills) producing stage sets, concert sets, museum displays, etc. in Detroit. He may have some valuable input for you, perhaps even ways to tie your previous experience in to a new welding career.

So, what prompted you to move to CO from NYC?

Usually, the best money in welding anywhere near the Bakken oil/gas field is going to be pipeline and compressor stations, and shop work supporting those. I would look to the pipefitters and steamfitters union as a good option.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Others are saying it, so I will jump on that band wagon; you have to get training. Period. This is not something you can 'pick up' and 'get by with' on the job until you 'master' it. I have taught at an ironworker apprenticeship and at community colleges. I have seen many, many guys come and go who are do sure that they 'get' this, and that they are way beyond the need for school. Personally, myself, I always disdained school, but found myself taking classes at community college. If I had been smart, I would have spent the time and money and gone to Lincoln School or something similar. In the end, I had to pay to get the education, anyway.

Apprenticeships are the most cost effective way to go. They will pay you to learn. You can learn a lot from a GOOD program, but unfortunately, there are a lot of bad and not-so-good programs out there. Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing takes the place of several years of experience. Nothing. Period.

Jody has talked about Tulsa school. I know Lincoln School is good. There is a very good school in Griffith, Indiana. Check out your local community college. I can tell you, as an instructor at a community college, that all I can do is give you enough of a broad based skill set to get you in the door at a company. You just can't learn it all in school. See above: Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing takes the place of several years of experience. Nothing. Period.

Good luck to you! Welding is an amazing career! I have done so many, many different and widely diversified jobs in welding, fabrication and metal trades that I sometimes wonder if it all really is under the same heading. But in the end, it is just melting metal together. If you can learn this, you will have an wonderful skill that no one can ever take from you, and which will likely keep you well employed and eating for the rest of your life!