Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
jegbflat
    Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 am

Hi all, one of those many folks who have "always wanted to learn to weld", but never done it. Now in retirement I'm working on a hot rod project and really motivated to finally learn. Thanks ahead of time for your patience, experience and information. I don't even have a welder yet so my first priority here will be to search for tips on which MIG machine would be a good bet for a beginner. I have the $$$ for a quality welder, but many friends tell me not to go overboard to start. I understand the logic, but don't intend to buy another machine at my age - would like to get one that will serve all my needs for the duration.

So if anyone cares to share their experience or input, I'm a sponge at this point :-)

Thanks again and I look forward to sharing in your forum.

Jerry G
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there, welcome to the show. Whilst you can definitely go "overboard " by say buying a Lincoln power mig 450 MP with pulse on pulse and all that, it's far easier, and a bigger problem to go under board. Any welding you want to do will soon outgrow a harbour freight 90amp gasless. There are many fine machines, but you have to be wary of spending too little if you are seriously trying to do some quality work.

Regards Mick
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Jerry,
You might want to check out Jody's latest videos on the Lincoln 210MVP welder. It looks like a pretty robust welder for a hobbyist. Stay away from multi-function machines that include a plasma cutter as these don't seem to work out real well.

Miller makes some descent Mig welders in the mid range between hobbyist and commercial stuff.

Quite a few people here run some of the import welders such as Everlast, HTP and a few others without many issues.

Do some research and get back with any questions you have on a particular make or model and somebody here will give you some feedback.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Jerry welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Braehill wrote:Jerry,...You might want to check out Jody's latest videos on the Lincoln 210MVP welder....Len
You beat me to it :) I own a lincoln powermig 210 and I like it a lot. Its an excellent mig welder.
Tyler