Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
MrLusk
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 pm

hello, my name is justin im 21 and from the steel city and i could use some help.
My family has a long history of metal workers, doing everything from brazzer to iron workers. My father suffered from a brain hemmorage when i was pretty young and never got to pass down his knowledge. Iam currently attending a trade school for my welding associates degree but iam struggling to succeed, but overall im an ok welder, school just isnt my strong point. i would like to know how you guys here in the forums got your starts in the welding business. i would like to be working while attending school so i can build experience, start a career and make enough money to get a generator so i can use my welding machine at home and finish my dads projects like the rat rod in the garage thats just getting rattier. thanks for taking the time to read this and ANY tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. THANKS GUYS
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Justin welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Justin,
Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked around with the local Marcellus Shale people to see about getting a job as a helper with the pipe welders. Go to any Sheetz or Get Go @ 6am and you'll likely find at least a few weld trucks there getting their morning coffee. Ask the guy with the FR shirt and his hat brim over his ear if he needs part time help.

Have you thought about asking your recruiter at the school to see where they're having the best luck placing grads. when they get out. I don't know what part of town you're from but there are a few boiler shops around that you could ask if they have part time work. Some of these places will hire part time students even if they don't have opening for full time at the present because they don't have to offer a benefit package to you.

I have two 21 year olds at home so I know what you guys do when your not at school, quit chasing trim and playing video games with your buddies online and start knocking on doors and act like you want to work. Knowing how most of the guys on here started their career as a welder probably is not going to help you find a job welding.

There's lots of guys here that thought that school was not for them and they're on here every free moment they have trying to learn something new. If you don't plan on becoming a student for life of whatever career path you choose then you're never going to be at the top of your field. Stick out your schooling and get the degree, it will get you in the test booth ahead of the guy without it.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len