Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
GabosBanks
    Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Just wanted to say hello and say I'm a student welder at my local junior college just starting out, I have been welding about 7months now and I wish I would have started welding 10 years ago, I love it (except trying to learn how to fill this 5/32 gap with a 1/8 rod :evil:) for the most part...I'm just trying to start a new career in pipe welding. Jody has helped with a lot of my question from watching his vids and hopefully one day I can give back when I have the knowledge and know how thanks guys.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

GabosBanks wrote:Just wanted to say hello and say I'm a student welder at my local junior college just starting out, I have been welding about 7months now and I wish I would have started welding 10 years ago, I love it (except trying to learn how to fill this 5/32 gap with a 1/8 rod :evil:) for the most part...I'm just trying to start a new career in pipe welding. Jody has helped with a lot of my question from watching his vids and hopefully one day I can give back when I have the knowledge and know how thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum! I assume the rod you are using is a 6010? Or 6011? If so, filling that gap won't be as difficult as you might think ... if you are using one of these 'fast freeze' rods. (Sorry, electrodes!) Jody does one video on this ... I think you want to look up 6G SMAW pipe. You want to 'butter' the sides of the joint with a fast weld bead: move fast, make a 'U' shape, up and down each side. The bottom will take care of itself. You really gotta move ... but you will also develop and instinct for it.

I learned at some small ornamental iron shop in Chicago back in the mid-1970's. Everything was thin wall, nothing structural. I did this for a few years. But! By using all 6011 and having to fill some obnoxiously big gaps, I really learned the hang of it. Later, when I learned to weld structural and pipe, I found that my 'junk welding' skills helped me out with that root gap. I never met an open root I didn't like.

Keep after it, you will get it! Don't hesitate to post problems and questions out here on the board! Lots of really knowledgeable and nice guys out here!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Gabos,
Welcome to the forum.

You've come to a good place to help out with your education. There's a treasure chest of experience here to draw from. Don't think that you have to wait to contribute, this forum works best because of the new members asking questions that take the more experienced people back to the basics. When you get a little experience under your belt you start taking things for granted and bad habits start. Ask those basic questions that you have and when we answer them, yourself and others learn, plus it keeps us old hands sharp.

You'll never be put down here for not knowing the answers, we don't allow it. The only time anybody gets beat over the head here is For putting someone down.

As to filling that gap, when I complained about a huge gap I had to fill when I first started welding and I only had 3/32" 7018, the older fellow who was helping me said, "That rod may only be 3/32" round but it's 14" long, you fill the sides and the middle will take care of itself". If you weld the sides, you no longer have a 5/32" gap and it'll fill in behind you. It comes with seat time.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
GabosBanks
    Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks guys...but I think I might have said it wrong but I was talking about a tig root pass 1/8 filler rod 5/32 gap.