Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Hello everybody. Great forum you have here. A bit about myself. Spent 8 years in the army as a mechanic and "retired" After that spent time going from job to job. Always wanted to run my own shop so last year I did. Started out as a general automotive repair shop but quickly was steered towards performance cars. I did not realize how much of a demand there is for fabrication work. I did spend years on and off teaching my self how to tig weld. Last year bought a Syncrowave 250 and just recently ordered in a Dynasty 280 DX. Im a mechanic that knows hoe to weld. I have never reseived any formal training so any and all input is helpful. Here is a bit of what i do.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome,
Skylineauto,
It seems you have a solid basis in TIG welding. We'll be happy to contribute anything we can.

Nice work!

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome skyline!

Not perfect, but not F***in' bad! Pretty good for a self taught mechanic, I would say! You are building complex and difficult assemblies; as opposed to the production line stuff most TIG welders in my area see. Take your time with it, don't rush and look for consistency; consistency within each stringer and from stringer to stringer. You will only get better from here!
Gary
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

My biggest fear is having welds crack and fail on exhaust systems. I hear the arguments about the thermo expansion of stainless vs steel when it comes to higher heat. Most people would say use steel because it's more forgiving. Most times I run the welder a little hot to get more penitration.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Skylineauto wrote:My biggest fear is having welds crack and fail on exhaust systems. I hear the arguments about the thermo expansion of stainless vs steel when it comes to higher heat. Most people would say use steel because it's more forgiving. Most times I run the welder a little hot to get more penitration.
One of my teachers and mentors at school is a big proponent of steel exhausts purely for the thermal expansion aspects. In his line of work (dirt car) most people would trash the headers before they ever rusted out ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Skylineauto wrote:My biggest fear is having welds crack and fail on exhaust systems. I hear the arguments about the thermo expansion of stainless vs steel when it comes to higher heat. Most people would say use steel because it's more forgiving. Most times I run the welder a little hot to get more penitration.

Be careful excess heat when it comes to stainless!