Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Hey everyone im brett from waycross georgia i been welding for 9 years now im currently a welder at gatx rail im here looking for advice and some help i want to join the pipefitters union or the boilermakers so that i can improve my skills and grow in the welding industry and become all that i can. Im certified with everything but 6g pipe. Its been about 3it years since i have tiged although i weld with stick and flux core and hard wire everyday i am a bit rusty with tig i am bery proud of what i do but i feel as if there is a empty space in my skill level so im really interested in persuing the openroad. Its pnly very hard fpr me tp dp so woth oit the practice and ability to practice toging on 6gthe pipe with oit the equipment that cost a small fortune so if anyne has any tips or advice on whati should do or the direction i should head please let me know i greatly appriciate
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Brett! Don't worry about what you can bring to the union, they generally don't care. They are going to train you their way and aren't interested in you doing something different. To join any of the trade unions, just go to the hall and get the application information, then do exactly what they tell you to do! Don't try to get in through a 'back door'; that typically doesn't work out.
Gary
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Oh ok thank you im in local 5812 thats at my company now so does that help or maybe look goodas far as getting in with other unions? So basically instead of trying to jus go out and start taking 6g test i need to pick a company to persu amd join their union? Or is it like the union is the company and once i join them they will find me work? Sorry if this sounds like dumb questions haha i feel like i got so much to learn and wanting thia so badly that its blowing my mind ... thank u for ur time Mr.
Gary
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Brett.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200