Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
EDMM
    Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 pm

I've been hitting this forum pretty hard lately as I prepare to set up my own shop. This has been a great resource already, and I'm looking forward to learning plenty more here in the future. Thanks, and hello!
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

welcome to the forum
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum EDMM.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

EDMM - Welcome to the forum! What kind of shop are you setting up? Is it going to be some kind of full time business, or just for your own projects?

Gary
EDMM
    Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Boomer63 - I make furniture (healthy mix of both wood and metal). It's a young business, and I'm trying to grow it as organically as I can so I guess right now it's in transition from part to full time. I've been sharing shop space until now--but I think it's time to get my own. I'm hoping my own space will allow me to do things in a more efficient way, take on more work, up my quality, and develop larger and more complex projects.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

EDMM wrote:Boomer63 - I make furniture (healthy mix of both wood and metal). It's a young business, and I'm trying to grow it as organically as I can so I guess right now it's in transition from part to full time. I've been sharing shop space until now--but I think it's time to get my own. I'm hoping my own space will allow me to do things in a more efficient way, take on more work, up my quality, and develop larger and more complex projects.
I have my students do various and sundry projects, some furniture, as part of our metal fabrication course. We typically do a prototype for cost of materials, then if we get anymore orders, I will double material cost and keep the left over money to purchase smaller parts, consumables, etc. for the shop. I keep a very careful record of these cash transactions, so I can't be accused of bagging the money for myself.

From the position you are, having been in a similar position myself in the past, I would suggest you keep your furniture endeavor a part time deal for a long, long time. You many never cross the line with into full time. But remember, it is a wonderful, cash source of retirement income!
Gary
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

From up northeast PA , Welcome to the forum !