Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
JedBrownley
    Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50 am

Evening everyone,
My name is Jed. I have just begun this new life as a welder and have been engrossed in it for the last year. I went to school and am in the process of becoming a certified instructor. With a school named Earlbeck Gas and Technology. I've been through many web forums and video based educational resources. Now knowing and fully confident that this is the best there is! I'm happy I'm now a part of a great community of experience. Striking that arc my first time was like going into my first fire fight. It was a life changer! Hope I can gain more knowledge through the old school welder a who know all the secrets! I'm a big fan of working smarter not harder. And I'm no follower! So I need to gain as much of this knowledge as I can mentally consume! Thanks for the add! Hope to see everyone in the forum shortly after this post is accepted and I'm free to badger you all with an in-believable amount of questions.

Thanks again,
Jed Brownley
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Jed.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Welcome to the forum !
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Jed,

I like your enthusiasm!

You're right, from all the welding forums I've been exposed to on the web, this one stands apart.

My one concern is that you're working toward becoming an instructor, with little time under your belt... Feel free to quiz us, as many of us have been at it many years (Some here have 50+ years), as a student seeking a welding job needs to know much more than how to lay a bead in a booth. I invite you to work in the field "on the side" as you begin teaching, as there's so much to know about expected behavior, work ethic, and attitude that cannot be gained from a student workbook.

We are enthusiastic about helping the next generation along, and encourage you to find the best way for you to do just that. There are several instructors here, with experience to share, and several topics open on the subject of welder education.

Again, welcome!

Steve S
JedBrownley

Yes, I would have to agree! I was working for a company recently welding as a crew leader. So it has been a while since I had written this intro. I'm currently training and qualifying for the Instructors position. Also, going to become CWI Certified. So things are looking good. I also now have my own shop at home. Not huge mind you. But I do make artistic pieces for people. I only have two current project pictures. I'm not usually taking many pictures of my stuff. Once it's done my wife puts it on some web site and it sells pretty quickly. But here is what's in front of me right now. Oh sorry for the mess haha. Image
Lamp on the right is near completion.
On the left is a possible mistake. Oh well...

And I don't only do chain.... Just happen to have some laying around.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Jed, and welcome!

I am a welding instructor at a community college in Indiana. I am not sure, but I think you might have to prove up a certain number of years working as a welder before the AWS will let you test for the CWI.

I don't have a degree. No "paper work". I am good at my job and turn out a great 'product'. Employers are very happy with my 'product'. I see more and more colleges only hiring instructors who have 'paper work'. I disagree with this because I believe it severely limits the talent pool then can draw upon.

Ask yourself this: If you were a student, which cat would you want to learn from? (Assuming the can both teach), The guy who worked 30+ years as a multi-process welder in many environments involved in the welding and metal fabrication trades, or the guy who went to college for four years, got his "Welding Degree", then played welder for four years (one company, one or two processes)? I mean, seriously, who do you want to learn from? College boy can't even begin to describe what it is to weld structural outside in subzero conditions, or what is like to punch a clock in a production environment?

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!
Gary
JedBrownley

In many ways I would agree with you. Also, in some aspects the older generation of welders who don't fully have the knowledge base but only hands on with one type of welding in a repetitive position of employment only has a certain level of experience in reality. As the field is changing ever so quickly into more mechanical and automated processes. The education is extremely important. Keeping up with newer and technology enhanced equipment and social networking for business is something I've noticed missing. Structure and discipline are what I am learning from the 30+yr welders I am currently being mentored by. Anyone can lay welds! The only process that shows any difficulty at all is Gas Tungsten Arc Welding. Which I see the younger generation coming through like wild fire. I agree, being out in sub-zero temperatures are something people need to understand that are out there and be ready for. But, I spent 8yrs in Alaska as an Infantryman. Trained in temperatures beyond -60. On top of mountains and glaciers for many survival training events. From cold to unbearable heat. Personally, if I can find a position in the field where a student can achieve a career without dealing with these types of environmental, and educational hold backs, I'm going to do it. I see myself as a mix between a old school knowledge seeker, and bringing the best of what newer posibilities they're afforded. In a business point of view. There's no room for beliefs of perfection. Not one welder I've met has achieved the knowledge base of understanding everything. It's impossible! But experience, knowledge and perfessionalism oh and let's not forget. The ability to see the possibilities in those who deserve our attention. I may be new in this trade. But I'm confident that I will bring to the table a strong, motivated, and consistent will to educate myself and others. To become the very best they/I can be.

CWI- Yes, you must have certain qualification to attain the ability to even attempt the Certification process. You can look these up. The Company I am currently working with is pushing me through many certifications. In time I will go through this process. But, it all depends on two variations. Being Working Experience, and Educational Experience.

As for products/projects I've been apart of fabricating, combination welding, and otherwise. I've never had negative communication said to me about the works I've done. My worst critic is myself. I have a deep hatred for ugliness. For me, everything has been ugly so far. Yet I've passed and certified in many different welding processes, and positions. I've only posted 2. Because they where the ones I liked the most. And that I have the most confidence in. Weakness in myself is also a disgusting battle. As I may make mistakes here and there. It's not a common practice for me to make them often in multiple.

I'm not a sensitive person by any means. And I respect the communication from experienced and skilled welders, business leaders, educators, and so on. So if this comment came off as me sounding a bit upset with yours. Please disregard that thought. I appreciate it and hope to hear more feedback in the future.

Thanks for the comment!
Have a great day,
Mr, Jed Brownley
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JedBrownley wrote: ...My worst critic is myself...
Yep, gentlemen, we have a real welder.

People who care about welding are ALWAYS their own worst critics. It's the trait that pushes us to be better.

Someone I know uses the signature line, "Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is attainable."

Steve S
JedBrownley

Awesome quote and agree 100%! This is going to have to be saved! I want to hold on to that quote.

I finished the two lamp projects I did out of boredom. Yeah, we know this sort of stuff is super simple. But it's good to practice and keep the hands busy and mind focused when not studying.... Soooo much studying. Haha...