Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Been a hobbyist welder for many years using a Hobart Handler 175 and a subscriber to Jody's videos on YouTube. My welding sucks! So, I've come here to ask questions and hopefully learn a bit more.

I'm self taught so I'm sure I have a lot of bad habits. I'm looking to start welding Aluminum so I was hoping I could do some research here to help me in my decision making process for a Tig setup.

Thanks
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Welcome to the forum . Alotta good machines out there. I have an Everlast 250EX , use the heck out of it...works very well.
If you wana do Alum , seriously consider a water cooled 20 torch setup . Throughout your Alum learning, you'll weld alot and an air cooled 17 or 26 will get very hot. Then you have to stop and wait. It is more $ up front but well worth it, as Jody says "with a 20 you're pretty much covered "
Good luck !
p40whk

Thanks for the welcome,

Hadn't even heard of a water cooled torch so learned something already!

Has anyone heard of Eastwood's welders? I buy a lot of their buffing and polishing supplies and noticed that their welders are very reasonably priced, couldn't find too much in the way of reviews searching through this forum so that kind of scares me.

I'm also torn with upgrading my MIG to a better unit with a spool gun for aluminum or keeping the one I've got and biting the bullet for a decent TIG setup.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Troy Boy 72
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey mate welcome to the forum, about 3 months ago i purchased an Everlast 210 EXT Package , water cooler, CK Flexlock torch , here in Australia and could not be happier. I'm only new to tig and have a lot to learn even stick runs super smooth on it . bought it mainly for aluminium and totally agree with Subwayrocket about the water cooled torch stays nice and cool compared to air cooled. As for spool guns i have one for my lincoln 180 c and i don't really like it (maybe just need some more practise) i am enjoying tig way better . hope this helps a little . Cheers
Troy
p40whk

Thanks Troy,

I was looking at the Everest as well as the AHP Alpha TIG which I can afford now, but, I'd prefer to spend the money to get a good machine that will last quite a while and am thinking about saving for the HTP Invertig 221. It's 3X+ the cost but you do get what you pay for.

Still researching though.