Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Tinkersalot
    Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello all!

I am fairly new to welding. I have done some mig and stick welding over the years. I have a Hobart mig welder, it does well for my home needs.

I also have a miller maxstar tig machine that I am using to help earn a living with.

Nobody has taught me how to tig weld. I have spent quite a bit of time practicing and on the job learning the hard way.

All I do for work is stainless steel commercial kitchen equipment, most of it is thin sheet to 14ga. So having a portable tig machine is a must.

The Miller 150 is the only tig machine I have ever used. Scratch starting a 1/16 electrode has been a frustrating experience for me. Also setting the amps to get a puddle started quickly usually ends up being too hot to continue a weld for any length without overheating the metal or blowing holes in the material. Am I doing something wrong? Is it really this difficult to use this machine for my application?

On another note, I have an opportunity to get a new machine this year (company budget) and I have been trying to find information on the Lincoln invertec 160-T, but there isn't much out there.

Please, don't make this a chevy vs ford..... miller vs lincoln argument, cause the name on the machine doesn't matter to me, however my company will only consider my input on the purchase if it is either of these machines, due to an account at the supplier.

Any help on this decision would be greatly appreciated!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

We don't to the red/blue fight here. There are many colors that will get the job done, and all get a fair airing here.

We treat the operators the same way...

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Does it have a pulse feature? Can you get your hands on a foot pedal or a thumb wheel? Thin SS sheet work can be a bear with out these things. If you run into a problem but aren't sure what's wrong don't be afraid to post some pics it will make it easier to get you good answers. Welcome
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Tinkersalot

Poland308 wrote:Does it have a pulse feature? Can you get your hands on a foot pedal or a thumb wheel? Thin SS sheet work can be a bear with out these things. If you run into a problem but aren't sure what's wrong don't be afraid to post some pics it will make it easier to get you good answers. Welcome
No pulse on the maxstar 150. No foot control, lift start only.
Poland308

Your machine will work it's just going to take lots of practice. Try turning it all the way down and just practice keeping as short an arc as possible. Use test pieces and try just fusion without filler. That will help to get a feel for your machine. Then try turning up your amps just one or two at a time till you start to get a puddle. What model exactly is it?

Josh
Tinkersalot

Poland308 wrote:Your machine will work it's just going to take lots of practice. Try turning it all the way down and just practice keeping as short an arc as possible. Use test pieces and try just fusion without filler. That will help to get a feel for your machine. Then try turning up your amps just one or two at a time till you start to get a puddle. What model exactly is it?

This is the machine I currently have. I don't have the torch switch that it came with, this machine has been well used before I received it.

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/w ... -907136017

I am using a weldcraft flex head #9 torch, and I use 1/16th tungsten and 309L filler metal. I am also using a gas lense in the torch.

Boss says he wants to get me a new machine, and I am wondering if the Lincoln would be a better fit for the primary work I do.
Poland308

I have one almost exactly the same on my work truck. It's an Awsome machine. Invest in the switch! If they offer one that has a thumb wheel get that.

Josh
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@akweldshop has used a V160-T extensively (I could be wrong, it may have been the V205-T) and would likely have some of the best input on the matter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Poland308

Also you may want to try 316 rod.

Josh