Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
taiwanluthiers
    Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am

So I'm getting a plasma cutter... also made by Andeli. Has integrated air pump so the unit works out of the box, doesn't need air compressor.

Thing is rated for 60 amps, can clean cut 12mm, and severance of 20mm (about 3/4")

I'm unlikely ever to cut even 12mm, getting it primarily to cut sheet metal because using a grinder to cut such thin material over a long cut length is tiring and dirty, not to mention loud. The plasma is meant to allow me to easily cut stuff to shape then weld or whatever, even make metal signs (using a template).

It also has a pilot arc for non contact cutting (I heard this is important if you want to CNC them)

My question is, is pilot arc that important? Also what else should I be aware of when using plasma. Last time I had one it was a multi process machine that didn't have pilot arc.

Oh and most importantly, the thing has a stick weld function, so now I can properly stick weld instead of hacking.