Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Mikita. GA 7911 is the only grinder to get. Have used em since the 80's Just put a longer cord on it.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Well,
The main reason I say 5,000rpm is to slow, is because I had a 5,000rpm Milwaukee 7in....

I like 6,000, its a good medium between slow and fast, and more comfortable....

Grinding can be fun, if you can rest the grinder, and let her eat. :?

~John
A satisfaction from the finished product, OK. Fun, NO! We choose a good grinder to get the necessary job done in an efficient way to get it over with. Ideally, we buy a machine sufficiently durable, we only buy one in a career. Unless you are mentally ill it ain't fun.

If you find grinding fun, you must like sandblasting better than sex!
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

After not being able to find a 9" angle grinder or disk for that fact around me I ended up having to just pick up a Makita from home depot.... It is an absolute joy to run compared the other grinders I have used. So far so good ran it for a few days v-ing out some .9" steel.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7-in- ... /100092868
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I've always liked Milwaukee big grinders, but if you go with them there's two different start speeds available that I never knew about until I wound up with the two different types. There's a slow start and a fast start one, the slow start won't give as much kickback when you turn it on. I didn't really like the slow start one as much, it seemed like it took a while to get up to speed, but it's nice for any one handed grinding.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

"soft start" is a nice feature built into dearer machines, cheaper ones just have instant brutality, like smashing a bottle over someones head.

I once used grinders "Fein" that had both soft start and a braked finish....posh i tells ya.

Mick
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

delraydella wrote:I've always liked Milwaukee big grinders, but if you go with them there's two different start speeds available that I never knew about until I wound up with the two different types. There's a slow start and a fast start one, the slow start won't give as much kickback when you turn it on. I didn't really like the slow start one as much, it seemed like it took a while to get up to speed, but it's nice for any one handed grinding.

Other Steve
My own fault, I know better, use two hands. My four and a half heavy duty DeWalt starts with such energy it bit me in the knuckle deep enough to get a little bone, took forever to heal till it wasn't sensitive to touch. They aren't very ergonomic, requiring two hands to push the safety and trigger simultaneously. Soft start would be a nice feature.