Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I have been using a Dewalt hand-held deep cut bandsaw, vertically mounted on a small table (from SWAG) for maybe 1/2 a year now. It is incredible how much use I get out of it! I use it almost every time I'm in the garage, I should have gotten one a long time ago. Everything from little brackets, to even simple things like cutting a bolt down to a shorter length.

However, it's a bit cumbersome to cut long tubing with, especially round tubing. Not only do I have to support the end of the tubing, but I have to slide the entire tube into the blade, which is challenging sometimes with a long piece of tube, and only 1 set of hands.

I know a horizontal bandsaw would be ideal for this, since the tube doesn't move, the saw does. I could prop the tube up any way I see fit, and not worry about having to move it during the cutting. But I really don't have space for a full sized horizontal bandsaw. Most of what I cut is .120 wall or thinner, and 2" diameter or smaller (both round, and square, and sometimes rectangle) Although occasionally I'll have tubing that is 1/4" wall

So, I wonder if anyone has any time spent with one of the smaller horizontal band saws? Something like this? something that's "benchtop". Are they good for regularly cutting tubing?

Although the price seems quite high for such a small bandsaw!

http://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_NG120XL ... 9KIu_ldUms
    Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Looks expensive to me I just use a cheap one, im in the UK but arbour freight do the same little bandsaw

I could not manage without mine and you can do mods on to make it even better

danielbuck

yea, I don't disagree that the larger horizontal bandsaws are great! I just don't think I have room for a large one like that. I think for me right now, a smaller one that I can setup on the floor, and then put away on the shelf out of the way when I'm finished. I wonder if the smaller ones are any good though? I see some ones online that are a bit more reasonably priced than the one I posted above. Not sure why that one is so expensive, haha!

http://www.lathemaster.com/benchtop%20bandsaw.htm
Last edited by danielbuck on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have a cheap hand held bandsaw just make it like the larger one like this

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I believe that Harbor Freight sells one that is horizontal or can be locked into vertical but it isn't that small that I know of. Other than that I am no help.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
danielbuck

Yea, the harbor freight horizontal saw is one of the large ones. Which I really would like, but I don't think I have the room for it. I have alot of tools and things in a small 1 car garage (which I have given up hope of ever parking in again :lol: )

mfletch, how does that little horizontal bandsaw setup cut? Do you get straight cuts? Any wandering? Worth it to make something like that?
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Guys:
I was at Harbor Freight last night and saw a small horiz/vert bandsaw for around $269. I've stayed away from H/F in the past just because of the poor quality. I've also looked at Jet B/S's for around $600. While I have many projects currently that may not last so I'm trying to justify the cost versus quality. Suggestions/thoughts?
danielbuck

RPat wrote:Guys:
I was at Harbor Freight last night and saw a small horiz/vert bandsaw for around $269. I've stayed away from H/F in the past just because of the poor quality. I've also looked at Jet B/S's for around $600. While I have many projects currently that may not last so I'm trying to justify the cost versus quality. Suggestions/thoughts?
from what I've read, it's pretty decent. And folks have made some pretty good mods to them as well. But for me, unfortunately it's a bit to large :x
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

The one in the first picture is pretty nice, maybe a little expensive, but what is nice about it is the swivel head. That's where the cost is.... A normal, cheaper, horizontal bandsaw won't have that, it'll have a pivot fence. The swivel head is nice because the saw can be mounted on a fixed table and the stock will always be supported on the table. The head swivels, not the stock. That will save you a lot of time and space in mitering. If I had the money for one, I'd get the swivel head.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Another one that appears to be fairly nice, can add a table to it as well. Though the price is a little high.
http://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_782XL_B ... 9ytefldX57

danielbuck wrote:Yea, the harbor freight horizontal saw is one of the large ones. Which I really would like, but I don't think I have the room for it. I have alot of tools and things in a small 1 car garage (which I have given up hope of ever parking in again :lol: )

mfletch, how does that little horizontal bandsaw setup cut? Do you get straight cuts? Any wandering? Worth it to make something like that?
It cuts good and true for a home made item it can be locked in the vertical so you can free hand cut
Attachments
P1000210.jpg
P1000210.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 755 times
P1000212.jpg
P1000212.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 755 times
P1000211.jpg
P1000211.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 755 times