Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
MachinistWV
    Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Hey folks , has anyone tried the either of the Eastwood plasma cutters ? The prices seem affordable for the home shop and the consumables are interchangeable with Hypertherm models .Hypertherm seems to be top notch product but a little expensive for the home user . The reviews that I have read are good but are all from Eastwoods site . I'm totally happy with other products I've purchased from them and haven't seen any outside comments on these units elsewhere . Any thoughts or comment welcome .
Scot :?:
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I don't have any experience with the brand but I have heard good things about them. It seems like a good unit and relatively cheap compared to Everlast and some of the other brands. If the consumables are compatible with Hypertherm then that is very convenient. Like I said no experience with the machine itself but from what I read and what I am familiar with it doesn't seem that bad.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
MachinistWV

Thanks mcoe , I been thinking about the Versacut 40 , it will cut up to 3/8 and that will serve my needs at home. The Versacut 60 will cut 7/8 , nice to have but anything that thick I could cut it at work.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

As far as home use that should be plenty. I have an Everlast multi machine and it has a 50 amp plasma but I have never ran it above 25 amps. I am planning on getting a new plasma sometime in the hopefully near future just so I don't have to switch from tig to plasma since they are the same machine.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I wouldn't touch one of them
MachinistWV

Why not Gamble , have you tried one or know someone who has ? Pro and con welcome . Thanks.
Scot
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I know a few guys that bought Eastwood welding equipment and none of them were satisfied.
You can do better elsewhere. Just my $0.02
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Generally they have a bad name - but they are really only sold mail order to hobbyist / car tinkering people often with no experience so the returns rate is very high - sometimes due to being DOA sometimes the buyer has no clue how to use it properly - some use them for one job & return them with spurious complaints to get they're money back after completing the job - so the exact quality / failure rate is hard to judge - I've only seen the TIG welder first hand & that works on par with other similar Chinese machines - my advise however is not to buy from them as despite being at the lower price scale of things they are actually overpriced for what they are to allow for the high return rate - if you look around you will find the same machines often with a better spec as the Eastwood models are always baseline for less money - as to the torch / consumables I would say it looks like a Chinese clone Trafimet - I seriously doubt any Hypertherm parts are interchangeable - though I'd be confident " Shop River " will have affordable consumables for it - bottom line - if you cannot find anything better / more affordable due to your location I'm sure it will be perfectly suitable for home use assuming it's not DOA - the Chinese have made small plasma cutters for some years & all the ones I've seen seem to work fine if used within sensible duty cycles.
MachinistWV

Thanks Rake and Brian , points well taken , I'll shop around a little more then decide . I got the Hypertherm / Eastwood consumables number from the Eastwood site , they list their catalog numbers and also Hypertherms to fit both the Versacut 60 and 40 . But I'm still learning and not made a final decision yet . Thanks guys .
Scot
noddybrian

Interesting on the consumables - the older Eastwoods used fairly common but generic Chinese torches / parts on the few I'd seen people with - still surprised they use Hypertherm parts - as to buying a machine I'd have to say the newer generation model of generic " Cut 50 " machines has a good track record & if paired with a decent torch will cut 3/4" & sever 1" - these can be found for around the price or slightly less of the typical Eastwood price for a 40 - worth shopping around - & there is no disgrace buying what you can afford / justify - it would be great if someone with a new Eastwood chimed in as I wonder if recently they've improved they're line up.
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

MachinistWV wrote:Why not Gamble , have you tried one or know someone who has ? Pro and con welcome . Thanks.
Scot
I know a few people that have had good luck with it, not me personally. Had one 40amp (different name, same OEM manufacture, but had a better torch) and it lasted a few months and I loved it. Then blew it up. Bought another one which was branded eastwood (got it used from a local car guy that used it less than 5 times) I tested it and took it home. Used it the next day and it and blew up right away.
Also eastwood was less than helpful on the repair. In fact they wanted no part of it what so ever. It was a few months old and under warranty but since I wasn't the original owner they wouldn't honor it. They also wouldn't repair it even though I offered to pay for it.
They use mosfet chips which are not junk IMO.

You want a decent plasma for a good price, get the harbor freight one. If I was ever in a pinch and needed one I would go to harbor freight and buy one. Or get one from Georgesplasmacuttershop.com
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Look at Thermal Dynamics also Cyberweld has decent pricing.

I've had a Cutmaster 38 for about 10 years now with no issues at all
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
MachinistWV

Thanks guys I'll check around before I buy one .
Scot
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I have had the Versacut 60 for a year or so now. The performance has been quite good but admittedly I don't use it heavily. The only problem I've had with it was when I hooked up my shop air which is at 180 psi and the cutter's internal regulator blew an o-ring or something. Now I use it with an external regulator and it has had no more issues.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I've not owned or used eastwood plasma cutters but I've used a couple welders from them that my buddies had bought. One of my buddies got one for Christmas from his wife an her family, and neither of them had luck with them at all. One guy went to use his welder an when he flipped the switched it smoked an burnt up. He called them for 4 weeks daily and they keep giving him a run around about replacing it. They did send him another one and it burnt up after 3 days. An then the 3rd machine snapped the gas hose connector on the welder...guessing it was plastic. The one who'd got the welder for Christmas had a similar experience with customer service after only 30 minutes of welding. He kept trying names of his wife's family but since they didn't purchase it under their names ( I imagine they figured he would get to do register it) they basically told them there was nothing they could do. Idk in my opinion which isn't worth much if you have people that really don't care it broke they just want it fixed it's not ok to treat people like that. I mean they totally knew you get what u pay for and that problems were probably gonna happen but when it breaks that fast I just don't think I'd ever own one myself in fear I'd get screwed out of the money that coulda got a lil more expensive but sound product like many good welding companies have. Either way you go I hope it works out for you!

An update: I earlier stated I'd had no real problems with my Eastwood versacut 60. Well I went to use it yesterday and the power adjusting knob fell apart and disappeared into the case. It has hardly been used at all. I cannot recommend this product. :(
Also my memory is faulty. I just noticed I have the Versacut 40 not the 60. Oh well.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Studio2bn
    Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 am

For what it is worth ....Here is my take on Plasma Cutters for "Us" newbies.....And do take into consideration that " I " personally never buy piece of equipment that I don't think is going to make me some " Money "..Be dependable and last me long time....I don't need a hobby that cost and does not pay !!!

Also take into consideration that I figure that adding the Hypertherm will/should add at least $200.00 +/- per week to my income....Put what ever amount you fill comfortable with in your figures.

I have and will forever live and go by a saying my Grandfather used often in business and when he was buying any type of equipment .......
" You Have told me what the Price is.....Now tell me what it is going to Cost me ? "

Palmer Gautney.....My Grandfather ....A man of Wisdom.....And I miss him

The more Inexpensive/affordable " Price " of the Plasma cutters ....we are talking the flavors made in China.....

For simplistic sake......lets say the Chinese Plasma cutter is $ 500.00...use any figures you want. And then we have the Hypertherm Powermax 30XP at $1295.00 shipped to your door..Damn that's expensive...Really ???.....A truly remarkable piece of equipment in so many ways.......But " Hypertherm " says it all !!! There are others...it really comes down to personal preference and one's experience with their favorite flavor ....I will be buying either the Hypertherm Powermax 30XP or maybe the P 45. There is advantages to both models..But Honestly..The 30XP will do everything I need it for and then some....No I do not work for Jim Colt...though I wished I did !!!

Post and let me know if the following scenario makes any sense to you....because I am not some type of expert on any of the Plasma cutters....I have had the opportunity to cut with a friends 30Xp and WOW what a machine.
I have however noticed that some people post not having ask what or how the person plans to use the equipment....Is the person/user an Artist....or are they building Aircraft Carriers !!!

1) Chinese Plasma Cutter 2) Hypertherm Powermax 30XP $1295.00
$500.00 Drag tip technology.....Research the Performance of this
little machine it is "Unreal "....Do the math....
I am using the below scenario because I have read just
a few toooooo many horror stories about a lot of the China
made units..Quality...performance ..cost of and getting
consumeables etc.......
Some folks have had great luck and I am happy for them ....
But......

This unit arrives DOA !!! You may have to be on the phone
For a few days trying to get an RMA #.

Have to pay the return shipping cost...? $ 50.00 ???
You ship it back...wait a couple of weeks for it to return
lets see....2 weeks X loss of $200 per week = $400.00 in
lost money....

Then it returns....works great or not .....clicks along for
several months....something blows...torch bites the dust
something happens Chinese style and you have to return it
again..Shipping cost ???...
2-3 more weeks waiting.....So 3 weeks later you are
back working with 3 x $200.00 = $ 600.00 in lost monies....
Then there are the forever problems that seem to pop up on the
Warranty Issues...... Get the picture ....

So in Reality.....What is the "REAL " cost of these
"Inexpensive/Affordable " Chinese Plasma cutters ???
In the long haul you most likely will pay for a quality
Plasma cutter....You just paid the "Wrong " person...Or
in this case the " Waung " Person !!!

It really all boils down to if you plan on making money
With your Plasma Cutter...Or just want to hobby around
in your shop and watch fire fly !!!

I am by no means any kind of Authority on Plasma cutters
I just go by common sense and logic..And then there is the
Wife that says " Harold....are you ever gonna use that thing
you said you just had to have....and you can't bring yourself
to tell her that you bought a Turd....and it is just sitting
collecting dust waitng for the next Yard Sale !!!

You will have fun either way.......Oh Yea !!!

Call me crazy....I have heard it before.....I have an Ex-Wife !!!
Studio2bn
    Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 am

Looks like my previous post sort of got jumbled up some how....Don't know how my so well executed post got all stuffed together....but hopefully you get the idea !!! :lol:

Chinese Plasma Cutter @ $ 500.00

Hypertherm 30 XP @ $1295.00
noddybrian

I can relate in part with the previous reply & I think with Tig welders it pays to buy the best you can afford - if possible a brand named unit - but plasma cutters I don't agree on - the generic " Cut 40 or 50 " has been out for a good many years now - it was reverse engineered from a known brand of good design - it will tolerate high duty cycle / overload without quitting if kept clean - cuts well enough for most peoples use & will last for years in ordinary use - if you want one for home use it should be fine - torches & consumables are readily available & cheap even if they don't last as well as some others - obviously with the number of factories making plasma cutters in China there maybe some that have build issues so watch who your buying from & do not buy a mulit process unit as these have reliability issues - I don't think it's fair to knock all Chinese products out of hand - some are quite good - worst plasma cutters around here are Lincoln ! - I know several very unhappy owners - but I have to say if you can afford or justify the Hypertherm then go ahead & buy one - never heard a bad word said about them.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I originally was looking at Eastwood for there ac/dc tig and plasma cutter combo. But not having as many options and just "something" about their equipment made me look somewhere else.
So I looked around and thanks to Jody, Mr. Tig, and Chucke2009, I decided to go with Everlast. I was really wanting their multi process machine with tig/stick/plasma, but couldn't afford that at the moment. I settled on a 185amp ac/dc tig/stick. It was however sent with the wrong tig torch. It was also around a holiday weekend so I wasn't able to get the right part right away. Needless to say I wasn't too happy with Everlast for quite a while. But I understood the holiday didn't help and the machine I ordered was a new model. After everything was worked out and I got to try out the machine, it has worked great. No complaints with the machine itself. Now as soon as I can afford it I plan on getting a plasma cutter from Everlast as well.

Well, today my Eastwood Versacut 40 died. the fan comes on but it wont spark up and air blows thru the torch constantly. :evil:
Time to upgrade.
-Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Most inverters fail at the final stage, whether it be MosFet or IGBT.
The other problem that occurs is the electrolytic capacitors dry up and fail.

It's always a tough decision of whether to repair or replace it.
Sometimes the cost of parts and repair time outweigh the cost of a new unit.

Here's a video of the internals of a plasma cutter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcW3b-e72Y
xwrench wrote:Well, today my Eastwood Versacut 40 died. the fan comes on but it wont spark up and air blows thru the torch constantly. :evil: Time to upgrade. -Eldon

Electrolytic caps are frequently the problem with many non-functioning electronic items. I have a large stash of components from my ham radio days but idk how good some of them are. I may have a go at fixing my cutter but have been looking for a good way to justify a new one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Electrolytic caps are rated in hours at a certain temperature.
If you keep below that temperature, they will last considerably longer.

It all comes down to the time it takes for the electrolyte to dry out.
The good part is that it's usually easy to spot a bad one. i.e. Bulge on the top.

Here's what they look like inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaDYmSMMDg
xwrench wrote:Electrolytic caps are frequently the problem with many non-functioning electronic items. I have a large stash of components from my ham radio days but idk how good some of them are. I may have a go at fixing my cutter but have been looking for a good way to justify a new one lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
Capacitor failure.jpg
Capacitor failure.jpg (64.48 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

Thanks WerkSpace. I doubt the caps in my machine have much more time on em that what it took for the printing on the case to dry lol. I don't think I cut more than 12 feet total with it before it died. Had it apart once already because the pot to adjust current broke right off at the knob (plastic shaft). The insides look very cheap. Low quality insulation on wires, plastic air regulator, some solder joints look like they were redone by hand, etc. I guess that's just what happens when something is built to a low pricepoint. I built a capacitor checker awhile back using an Arduino just to see if I could. It is within about 10% of the marked values on the caps I tested it with. I have an expensive Fluke meter, albeit from the 90's, that doesn't do much better. Gonna try to fix my Eastwood cutter but only so I can sell it. I think it developed an inferiority complex being around Lincoln and Miller machines. :lol:
Cheers.
-Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150