Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if any one had some advice on plasma cutting alum to get the best finish? 0

Thanks,
Jason
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jason,

Where possible, I like to set it up to drag the tip directly on the surface. This makes the cleanest cut, and is fairly easy on Al because the oxide layer prevents direct shorting of the tip. Dry nitrogen is a bit of help if you have cheap access, but well-dried air will do fine, as well.

One advantage to direct-contact dragging is that you can use flatbar or angle (or a custom fence for curves and circles) as a fence to drag against without heating and flexing it as much as you would with the tip above the material.

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Like Steve said if you can drag directly on the aluminum. Make sure that you have enough amps to cut the piece. If you are too cold it is horrible. Plasma does a pretty good job on aluminum. Here is a sample of some of the stuff I do with it.
Attachments
deer.jpg
deer.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 920 times
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Worked great, I am using a little bit different set up I have a full CNC HD plasma table. Im so use to having a cnc I forget that plasma has the option to be hand held.... my bad.