Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

So I finally bit the bullet and got a new Evolution 380.

I used it today and it seems like the backstop won't turn quite far enough to get a perfect 90?! I loosened the thing and pushed it as far as it would go and it seems like I'm about a couple degrees shy of 90.

Anyone else have this problem? It's very frustrating.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Make sure the adjuster slot has no chips stuck in underneath the locking bolt. There's no room under there for anything to move out of the way. If you cut steel a small telescoping magnet works well to clean out the track or for other stuff a shot of air should work. I keep one of those magnets with the saw and clean the track every time I make angle adjustments. If that's not it possibly with a new tool something in there needs a little fileing :?:
jroark

I tried to set before the first cut and it was just slightly out so I was thinking more what you said at the end that it may have a small burr that needs to be filed. Wonder if that would void the warranty?

jroark wrote: Wonder if that would void the warranty?
A quick phone call should clear that up, ugh, now it's after hours on Friday. :(
Richard
Website
homeboy

If it's a tiny thing like a little burr removal I am sure the company would be real happy if you handled it yourself. A handy tool to fine tune 90 and 45 degree angles and fine tune longer stock 90 degree horizontal to the blade is a 7in triangular aluminum framers square with the thin (non flanged side) cut to 5in long. It will fit under the guard on the output side on top of the stock to be cut. The longer flange side of the square rests on the stock and works well with narrow or round material. You should really like this saw especially if you have been using abrasives. :D
jroark

I like that idea about the square. I've been using a Northern Tool dry cut saw so this is an upgrade for me. Even though I'm used to a dry cut. I'd never want to use an abrasive for what I do.
Warranty or not I want a good cut so I'm gonna see what I can do.
homeboy

IMG_20170107_143110475.jpg
IMG_20170107_143110475.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
An extremely handy tool for your saw for accurate cuts is a movable adjustable roller stand . If you use a table like I do when you turn the saw for mitres the height will change a bit. The twin screws allow for extremely fine adjustments. I have another much taller one for my bench mount drill press. You can't see it here but the output end of the table has a sliding adjustable roller to aprox . 4ft extension. On the wall hanging beside the furnace is the cut down framers square. :D :geek:
jroark

I actually bought three roller stands from Harbor Fright that are pretty good. I use them off one end of the table and i put a small tri square against my blade to make sure my blade is square to the material.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

did you make sure the allen wrench is not interfering with the backstop?
evo saw.jpg
evo saw.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Multimatic 255
jroark

Yes! Thanks. I saw that in there and thought "why did they put that in there like that?" I like the holder for it though.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Did you fix the issue?
Multimatic 255
jroark

I'm actually knee deep in a job right now and cutting 45's so I'll get to it after this job is done. Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll just use my die grinder to touch it up.
jroark

Update!
I've been using the new saw a bit on this Al job and it's working great. Super accurate. Glad I bought it.