Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
brad_m
    Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:06 am

Just picked up this old saw at an auction.

It was still in use in a large construction business.
So far I've cleaned it down and sprayed it with CRC 5.56 and run a few cuts through some scrap.

My question, what do you all use for coolant? is basic soluble oil the best choice?
Will be cutting mild and stainless steel.
Attachments
test002.jpg
test002.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Nice find
Richard
Website
brad_m
    Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:06 am

LtBadd wrote:Nice find

Yeah, I'm happy with it. 1/5th the cost of a new one.

I do need to spend some time putting some indexing marks on the vise and none of the original marking are there. and the coolant pump is a mix of bits. Someone at some stage couldn't find a mechanical coolant pump, so they made a try that fit the stand and put an electric submersible pump in, modified the original sump with an extra drain and use garden hose to rig it all up.

Can't complain, it works.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Did it have property of Noah written on it anywhere?
Looks like it came out of the ark, they definately don't make them like that anymore.
Nice find.
Can't help with the coolant, but I'm interested as well as something similar is on my Xmas list.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Cbking
    Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Looks kinda similar to the Thomas saw we have at work. Getting blades for that ones a pain because the hole pattern is obsolete now a days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoEngineering
    Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi To answer your question yes soluble oil is the best for that type of cutting. Multi function cutting oil by LubeSol. You can buy a 5 litre drum of soluble oil and then mix it your self, for steel a 5% oil to 95% water mix is good, and for Stainless steel a 9% oil to 91% water. So roughly 1 part oil to 9 parts water. this type of soluble oil is handy in the workshop as you can use it neat (undiluted) as tapping fluid.
So for an all round coolant 1 drum is very useful and not too expensive. I machine steel and Stainless steel on the lathe and milling machine and it even improves the finish on a cut.

Best regards. Bert