Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I was given the ShopFox W1760 drill press which is pretty bad ass for a free drill press. My only concern is it is an older unit from the 90s or early 2000s it seems which in general shouldn't be an issue... But it doesn't really like staying in a fixed position. I'm fighting the work plate and arm a lot even if I tighten things down a lot. If I lock everything down to the point I'm struggling to turn the lock screws any further, it still tends to have about 1-3mm of motion for the arm which is a HUGE problem. Yep I hit that point in my life where 1-3 mm is finally a bad thing in my fab life ;)

Either way I'm thinking about some ways to correct this but before I go about tearing things apart, lubin them, and considering shims (shims are my last resort) but figured I'd ask for any special suggestions or experience with this drill press. The previous owner that used it also had the Lincoln AC225 that was passed to me and I can say this guy beat the crap outta the Lincoln and considering the strong arm monkey job and general beating this thing took, I can almost guess the Shop Fox had a similar life.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)