It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 pm Advanced search

Which chopsaw or Bandsaw would you get?

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Which chopsaw or Bandsaw would you get?

Postby Saz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:45 pm

I need something in my life- a better way to cut metal. I am just a garage hobby guy, and I like to tinker with just about everything. I am collecting enough stuff to make a new table and cart, but I need soemthing that will cut consistent angles on angle, round and bar stock. I am thinking a chopsaw. Do I go the abrasive or dry saw route? OR how about a horizontal bandsaw? Seems like the horizontal bandsaw could "walk" side to side a little easier? I am not looking to drop 2K on a saw, but the Evolution Rage 2 has peaked my interest, and I can get it from Sears for about $185..... Thoughts?
Lincoln MP210
Lincoln SW200
Saz

Re: Which chopsaw or Bandsaw would you get?

Postby Tom Osselton » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:22 pm

I'm using the 14 " Evolution and am more than happy with it you could go with the rage it depends on what your cutting size wise for future projects a bandsaw has a more useful cut range and is a good starting point.
Tom Osselton
Workhorse

Postby LtBadd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Chopsaw...NO
Bandsaw...maybe
Drycut saw...slamdunk

HERE is a link to a previous discussion that may help you decide.
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 pm

Don't cheap out on anything for cutting. Go with the bandsaw of it is good and somewhat accurate or the dry cut saw. Just remember blade price and don't ruin the blades. Once you learn to use the band saw you will get great cuts.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:07 pm

LtBadd wrote:Chopsaw...NO
Bandsaw...maybe
Drycut saw...slamdunk

HERE is a link to a previous discussion that may help you decide.

I agree with this. I screwed around with abrasives for a long time cause it was cheap but everything in my shop had an inch of black dust on it and I had some horrendous shop boogers all the time and it was loud and slow. I got a bandsaw but it was too slow and too much of a pain to keep it cutting straight and then I bought the Dewalt drycut saw and it was like meeting God...I don't know why I torture myself like I do. I think I paid $600 and change and it was worth every penny. I have a Milwaukee Porta-Band for small stuff to save the blade on the Dewalt but both do a fine job.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:18 pm

I think my preference would be for the band saw. But it's a lot more money. Probably because I've only worked two places that had cold cut saws and neither of them could miter. The new ones have come a long way with there features and really are probably the best bang for your $
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby dynasty200sd » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 am

Saz wrote:I need something in my life- a better way to cut metal. I am just a garage hobby guy, and I like to tinker with just about everything. I am collecting enough stuff to make a new table and cart, but I need soemthing that will cut consistent angles on angle, round and bar stock. I am thinking a chopsaw. Do I go the abrasive or dry saw route? OR how about a horizontal bandsaw? Seems like the horizontal bandsaw could "walk" side to side a little easier? I am not looking to drop 2K on a saw, but the Evolution Rage 2 has peaked my interest, and I can get it from Sears for about $185..... Thoughts?

Like other's have, I too started out using an abrasive chop saw. I then obtained an inexpensive horizontal bandsaw. Each tool has a dedicated purpose with secondary abilities, is how I look at it.

With what you are looking for advicewise; to start out this is the dry saw I am going with; Evolution EVOSAW380.

Quickly looking at current online pricing, they are pricing at around $375-400. This is a little more than what you are wanting to spend, though as others suggested; spend a little more for you'll get your money back in savings due to the amount of cuts that can be made before blade needs changing.

If wanting a nice horizontal bandsaw; this Baileigh BS-210M is my pick. I was sold on it after watching a video ZTFab made showing how accurate it is in how thin it can cut slivers of metal from parent piece. Thing is though, it has a MSRP of $2595.00.
dynasty200sd
Guide

Postby sedanman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 am

The Evolution 380 is $408.20 on Home Depots website. Open a Home Depot account and take 6 months to pay for it with no interest and get a one year, no questions asked return policy
sedanman
Ace

Postby DennisCA » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:26 am

I am thinking about this as well, also a hobby guy in a garage and I believe my preference would be for a bandsaw, the milwaukee deep cut 5" saw to be precise, then fitted with a DIY table like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uWx7xl1go

Also a question of money and this seems to give most capability for least money spent. And I don't want something that throws metal dust around. Also I want a vertical, I am used to working wood and I have a 24" cast iron monster :mrgreen:

I also don't have a lot of room left anymore, so I need to be able to just plop it down under my welding table when not in use.
DennisCA
Workhorse

Postby entity-unknown » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Here's Jody's instructions on building his portaband saw stand which I and several others have copied which you'll find threads in the project section of the main forum. I spent about $140 ($170 with 20% off coupon) at Harbor Freight for my portaband saw. After building my stand I get perfectly straight cuts every time now! And I didn't spend $600-$3000 plus I had fun building the stand myself ;)

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/por ... stand.html

Projects section of the forum:
viewforum.php?f=9

Here's his build video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4kTUPB4HZM

Super simple and personally I think it was a great first time welding project since you're not likely to kill anyone or regret any screw ups on your welds so long as you get things straight. If you don't then you can fix it and still not care.

The one thing I did differently than most is I added a mechanical cable tension based trigger system with a lock bar to turn the saw on and off. The lock bar is setup so it locks in place so you can use both hands to guide your part in rather than one hand on the trigger. It's easy to turn off with a quick kick or push on the lock bar and I could even operate the setup with my foot if I wanted to.

Here's my project thread showing the cable system:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10095
P.S. apparently a thread jacking of fancy whiskey took place which is a fun read in itself ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
16+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
entity-unknown
Ace

Next

Return to Metal Cutting