Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I would appreciate opinions on the best way to achieve long clean and straight cut on thick sheet material. I have a 40" shear, 7x12 band saw, carbide metal cutting circular saw, and plasma cutter. However, the shear can't handle anything greater than 16 ga material, and the other methods I listed either don't yield a clean cut or have a very limited width of cut. Anyone get good results without a massive hydraulic shear?

I use a straightedge guide for my plasma cutter. Works great.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Straightedge and the right amperage should get a fairly clean cut within a small constraint. Or a straight edge to ride your circular saw and go the right speed.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i use a morse 9" worm drive circular saw.
cuts up to 3/8" mild steel.
straight edge and your off the the races.
cut very cool and almost spark-less.
i think it spins about 2600 rpm
craig
MK Morse CSM9MB 9-Inch Metal Cutting Circular Saw
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

ldbtx wrote:I use a straightedge guide for my plasma cutter. Works great.

Larry
+1
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yeap, if you already have your plasma cutter all set-up, connected, air compressor filled, no reason to not grab the plasma torch. I just recently used a Powermax30xp at my school where we bought one for our Solar Car project----my very first time with a Hypertherm plasma, and my God that thing cuts awesome! Just practicing showing the students how to use it; it cut through 1/2" pretty darn easily! Makes my Eastwood look like a toy.
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

Larry

What air pressure do you run?

ttreb4 wrote:

Larry

What air pressure do you run?
I've got the Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air with the built-in compressor. Don't know what the pressure is, but it's always right :D

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

:D I also have a hypertherm 30 air. Great machine just clamp on a 1/4in thick 1/4in offset guide bar ( flat or angle) on the stock piece ( not the cutoff piece) set your amperage as required and cut. With a bit of practice and a tiny bit of clean up (tap off a bit of slag -maby a touch up with a grinder) you will have a clean -straight and easy cut. I have cut a bit of 5/8 mild steel ( very slowly ) and needed only minimal grinding with a 36 grit flap disk to dress it up. When I bought mine in 2015 I just practiced on some scrap to get the feel and have been finding new uses ever since.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Check the tips of your plasma, as well as the quality of your air. If those planets are aligned, it will give a beautiful cut on steel.
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

I cut everything on my 4x8 CNC plasma table eversince I got it a month ago and love every minute of it!