Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Countrywelder
    Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I had a frame from a Little Giant powerhammer that I repurposed to make my plasma cutting table/stand. For those that don't know what a Little Giant power hammer is, it is a mechanical blacksmith hammer with a 50 lb ram that mashes metal when heated. They come in different sizes. The frame had a wire mesh that protected the operator if something flew off it I copied Jody's design for slats. I used 3/4" X 3/16 X 22". I cut 24 slats. The slats rest on 3/4" angle iron. I needed it to be off the table so I welded 5" metal legs on the under side. I think that will be high enough to reduce any damage when cutting with the plasma cutter. I used my 110 Lincoln 125 wire feed welder with 035 flux core wire. No gas. I tack welded most everything. I've included some photos.
DSC03184.jpg
DSC03184.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
DSC03185.jpg
DSC03185.jpg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
DSC03186.jpg
DSC03186.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice work. I love seeing stuff being modded to give it a new lease on life.

Kym

I like it, I see you've allowed the slats to be replaced.
Richard
Website
Countrywelder

I believe that Jody's design allowed for the replacement of slats. Also, they can be turned over and used some more if damaged. Some plasma tables I've seen have used thinner slates but I thought these would hold up to some abuse and wouldn't be that expensive. Metal is so expensive these days. I placed the slats 1 1/2 inches apart so I could get my larger clamps between slats.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Some guys at Protospace ( a makerspace type of thing ) are building a plasma cutting area into the table my question is how far should the slats be sunk into the table I would think that 3/4" would not be enough seeing as your cutting into them what do you guys have?
Countrywelder

I wanted my slats to extend above the frame, about 1/8th so if I had a very long piece of metal it would lay flat even when extended over the frame. I do think the slats will be sacrificed when cutting and that is why I wanted to be able to move them around.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

I generally make slats for air plasma cutting tables at least 1.5 wide, out of 12 gauge or 1/8" material. Thicker than 1/8" will cause molten metal blowback (often) at the torch....which wears consumables at a much higher rate. The width of the slats (1-1/2") is what will make them last, not the thickness of material.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG (85.21 KiB) Viewed 881 times