Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

I just ordered a 30xp, haven't received it yet, but trying to work ahead so I can finish a job. I need to make some template/patterns and need to compensate for the diameter of the drag tip shield/deflector. I've found that the diameter of the standard shield is 0.380" but have not found any dimensions for the Fine Cut deflector. I'm cutting 18ga and 16ga cold rolled so I think the Fine Cut is what's called for.

Does anyone know offhand or could measure the diameter of their Fine cut deflector?

thanks.

steve
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
Countrywelder
    Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm new at using my 30xp also, but I thought they used the same drag deflector. Run a test. Using a long straight edge as your guide, drag one tip a few inches. Then, change tips and drag that a few inches along the same straight edge. The test will tell you if the tips are the same distance. The larger cut will be a little wider then the fine cut. Good luck
sru_tx

The brown Santa drove up in his big brown sleigh and dropped off my cutter. I made some rough measurements and here's what I found:

Drag tip (kerf approximately 0.062")
Diameter of tip/shield is .380" for patterns less than .112" thick
Or for patterns slightly thicker,
the diameter is .560" when 0.225" < pattern < 0.325"

Fine cut (kerf 0.030")
the diameter is .485" for pattern thickness range of 0.1<pattern<0.2”

hope this info helps someone in the future.

steve

Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Steve nice to see someone report back with there findings after getting there machine and giving back.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier...I could have helped with an answer.....though it looks like sru_tx has the correct info now. Keep us posted regarding how the 30 XP works for your template cutting! Jim Colt Hypertherm
sru_tx

No problem Jim. I know you are quite responsive on the forum.

I really like the machine! I've had a couple small hiccups so far as I have found that the Fine Cut is a bit sensitive to template thickness, using 1/4" (actual = 0.205"). I sometimes slip off of the deflector's edge and gouge my piece. I didn't have this problem with my old Hobart as it had a longer flat (cylindrical) surface exposed on the nozzle. Even though I'm cutting thin 18ga, I may make another set of templates and switch to the std drag tip with a more defined flat. Can't justify a HyAccess at this time.

I'd also like to give a big shout out to Hypertherm and Harris Welding supply. My first unit came in late last week and it had a small internal air leak. Unit was functional but annoying hearing that hiss. Talked to tech support to determine that it truly was a defect (seemed to be leaking near the pressure sensor threads). Called Harris and customer support advocated for me and got a replacement red labeled to me so I could get a job finished. Incredible customer service on both counts. That's why I saved up and bought Hyperthem. (maybe I should put this in a different thread so other people can read it?)