Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

I am thinking about purchasing a cheap 50 amp plasma cutter off ebay or amazon. How much compressed air do you need for a machine like this? Air compressor requirements?thanks in advance
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

You should check the unit's specification/requirement sheet. They usually list the power requirements (120V @ ? amps, 220V @ ?? amps) and the compressed air requirements standard cubic feet per min at a particular pressure (?? SCFM @ ??? psi).

I don't know anything about 50amp cutters but my 27 and 30 amp cutters needed approximately 4-5 scfm @90psi.

steve
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
Notapro

This listing does not have that info. It does state the electrical requirements and out put. But nothing on air required. Thanks
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The cheap bamboo cutters mostly don't give the info and any if it did the translation is so bad it's hard to understand from what I've seen.
My own personal opinion from experience is the real cheap cutters are a regrettable waste of money. They don't cut the thickness promised, no hf start, ugly cut. There are much better mid range units also from china with a recognised brand that do a much better job and you don't feel like a goose wasting money on junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Notapro

What would be a better unit to look at? Should I look for a used unit name brand?
Coldman

A second hand name brand unit is a great idea if you can get a good deal.

As far as brand advice I can't really help you, coming from down under with different voltage, hertz and standards.

Some local members will no doubt chime in now with lots of good recommendations and hopefully Jim Colt from Hypertherm will also steer you in the right direction too. You can search his posts as well, excellent unbiased information already available.
Coldman

Here's a quick flow chart on my version of plasma procurement. Enjoy :D
Plasma-page-001 (2).jpg
Plasma-page-001 (2).jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
Notapro

I do like the diagram
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Buying a welder or a plasma cutter with "lowest cost" as the primary criteria is not always the best idea. There are a few dozen different brands of air plasma systems that are from China, many are almost identical when you remove the cover. I work for Hypertherm, which is the largest producer of plasma cutters (models from 30 amps to 800 amps) and all are manufactured here in the USA, and they are not the lowest in cost. I think it would be a great idea if everyone looking for a plasma would just buy the Hypertherm units, however I am fully aware of budgets that do not allow everyone to buy the top of the line tools. Here is my advice if budget is a primary consideration...and you need a plasma cutter!

- Keep in mind that there are a few components to cost. There is purchase price, there is operating cost (consumable usage, maintenance), and there is secondary operation cost (grinding and reworking parts that were cut). You will find that the major brand plasma cutters that come from companies that design the torch, consumables and power supplies in house.....will cost more to purchase, will cost less to operate, and will produce faster, cleaner, squarer cuts....meaning you will spend less time grinding.

- Cut thickness , cut speed. Plasma cutters are almost all rated by amperage, which makes us think that one 50 amp plasma cutter will cut at the same speed and have the same thickness rating as all other 50 amp plasma cutters. In reality, thickness and speed are a function of the output wattage of the power supply (amperage X load voltage) as well as the torch and consumables design. Trust me, a 45 Amp major brand system will cut circles around most 60 amp imports, thicker, faster, squarer, cleaner cuts.

- Reliability, Factory support, Instruction manual. For reliability......don't listen to me, listen to people that have used variety of different plasma cutters. Visit online forums and search plasma....read the reports and reviews. You will see some that claim their $199 import is the best thing since sliced bread, but most will insist that the only system is their expensive to buy, inexpensive to use major brand plasma. Most imports are purchased from importers with no factory links. When the unit breaks you are on your own. I know of at least one 45 amp major brand plasma that has a 135 page instruction manual with 30+ pages of detailed cut charts (speed, amperage, arc voltage, cut height, pierce height, air pressure settings, etc.) as well as consumable inspection, safety, troubleshooting, parts list as well as phone and email links to the factory. You won't find this with low cost imports.

- Warranty. I have seen 5 year warranties on some low cost imports......now go do the internet search on how the importers handle warranty claims. Often....6 months after you buy the system the same model is no longer available....instead of repairs or parts for yours you will get the offer of a "new, upgraded plasma cutter".....all you need to do is to pay the shipping (both ways) as well as the difference in price....and they will send you a new or refurb unit. The major suppliers have an actual factory and tech service departments you can communicate with. Warranties are handled as written, and parts are often available for a couple of decades.

So, if you need a plasma and insist that low cost is more important than performance and features, and you want that warranty - I suggest you buy a low cost import from a company that is established such as Northern Tool, Eastwood, and yes, even Harbor Freight. Why? Because they will honor their own warranty....vs the importer (with a lower price) that probably won't return your calls.

A choice for the budget minded that I believe is wiser....is to be patient and keep a close watch on Craigslist or online forums for second hand major brand plasma cutters. They are used, and usually are out of warranty, but if you purchase a well know good quality unit used....you will likely get more use out of it as compared to a low cost import, you will have factory support, a manual, available parts, etc. I often see 3 to 5 year old plasma cutters in the $600 to $900 range that are major brand, lightly used.....these units sold for over $2000 when new, and perform as well as new.

When I was a few years younger (well about 35 or 40 years younger!) I was working long hours (yes, at Hypertherm even then) and trying to equip my home shop to support my stock car building and racing habit. I bought a number of low cost import tools because low budget was the number one decider. I quickly learned that researching the used equipment market and becoming patient about the right choices was the better way.

Hope this helps a bit in regards to choosing not only plasma cutters, but all kinds of shop equipment!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Notapro

Thanks Jim. That is very informative. I will take your advice. Thank you!
Scott V
    Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:50 am

Notapro wrote:Thanks Jim. That is very informative. I will take your advice. Thank you!
The Northern tool Plasma cutters (klutch) are nice little units.. I have a new victor, and new Hypertherm machine too.. I bought a small 120 volt plasma just to run on my smaller generator with a small compressor. The Klutch inverters are very nice designs, and work well,if setup correctly.. That means using Italian Trafimet consumables in the S-45 torch.. Northern tool does not have a clue what they you sell for consumables.. My machine came from the reman stock, and $319.99 delivered.Anyway t,he nozzles that came with my torch was like .035 in size.. They sell some .030 ones, but those are still too big..I picked up the correct ones that run .025 in size.. What a difference in cutting performance! It's only a true 16 amp machine but they sell it as a 20 amp machine.. The (275i) The 240 volt only machine (375i) is really where you want to go,because it will have good power in that model.. The nice thing is a 19 ft torch lead, and reversible swirl ring, which make it nice for lefthanders :mrgreen: The little 275 setup right is pretty nice little machine, and 1000 times better then the smaller smoke boxes,with the early PT clone esab torch. The Real Esab torch works so much better then these clones, It's not just the torch that makes them cut funny either.. :lol:

Here are some pics of 3/16, and up to a max of .500 Yes the little Klutch will get through. .500 ms, and that is something the china clones has a real hard time doing on 240 power full tilt.. This is 16 amps, and cuts .250 about 8 ipm.. Which is totally fine for what it is,and what I want it for. Consumable life is good too. Got some china clone nozzles coming just see how they work. Probably pretty decent because of the low amps.. These have a real nice pilot arc, and the torch feel very nice in the hand..

PS, I counted, up that I had 21 plasma cutters over the years, because I trade up, and just go in different directions at different points.. I used many more too.. I believe I got a pretty good understanding of what work well. I could care less about who makes it either. :) These little Klutch machines are very nice.. Who ever builds them does a nice job,goes for their mig units, and stick machine too. Had a few of those to compare to also.. :D
Attachments
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (184.47 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
19 ft torch.jpg
19 ft torch.jpg (175.57 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
.500.jpg
.500.jpg (161 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I do NOT work for Hypertherm but I can second Jim's opinion. A few years back I was in the market for a small plasma cutter. Strictly for hobby use so no need to do the cost/benefit analysis. When I buy a toy I buy the best I can find and go with Made in USA if at all possible. That said I decided on the Hypertherm Powermax 30. Rated at 1/4". I purchased the unit on-line from weldersource.com. Had it in a couple of days. I unpacked it on the bench and as I turned it over to check the serial number I heard a tink, tink, tink. Something bouncing around inside. I turned it back upright and heard tink, tink. Now the something is stuck somewhere. Probably on the circuit board. Not good.

I sent an email to customer service at Hypertherm and went back to the shop to do some investigating. I pulled the cover and looked. I could find nothing. I put it back together only to realize that I had neglected to put back the fan shroud. Off comes the cover again and another thorough inspection. Nothing. Back together again.

I decided that as it was under warranty I would plug it in and see if it would let the smoke out. As I started to uncoil the cables I found an 8 mm brass nut on the bench. Apparently the source of the tink, tink, tink. It had come out of the ventilation slots when I uprighted the machine originally. Back to the PC to ask why in the world would they allow a loose nut to be bouncing around all of the high dollar circuitry.

To my great surprise I found an email from the MANAGER of hand held plasma systems in response to my customer service inquiry. It arrived LESS THAN AN HOUR after my initial contact. That is customer SERVICE. I replied and explained that I had located the wayward part and that the unit was working fine. I thought that was the end of it.

Next morning at 6:30 I took the dog out for a walk. When I got back a little after 7 the wife was awake and mad as H for being woken up so early. "This person has called twice. He wants you to call him before 8 when he has to go to a meeting." It was from a technician in the Hypertherm repair department. When we spoke he explained that he had been assigned the case and that he had examined a Powermax 30 and there were only 2 places which used an 8 mm nut. He offered to walk me through pulling the cover and checking that the nuts were in place and tight. I said that I had already removed the cover and I would do it again just to triple check. The nuts we in place and tight. The extra nut must have been dropped into the machine on the assembly line.

Mistakes will happen. The true measure of a company is how they handle the mistakes. Hypertherm went above and beyond any reasonable customer service expectations in this case. Well done! I have had similar excellent customer service from Hobart and Miller.

Less expensive machines from Northern Tool, Eastwood, Horrible Fright or evilbay will probably work just fine. But when they don't...

As to the baby Hypertherm... the last time I used it was to pierce two bolt holes in an AR500 gong target. The owner shot the two mounting "ears" off his new target the first time he used it. The machine cut through the 3/8" AR500 like a hot poker through styrofoam. Amazing!

Ken
Notapro

This is awesome, the amount of insight from you members. Totally changed my mind about buying the cheap unit. I am going to be patient and keep my eye open for a quality unit. I appreachiate the feedback, Thanks
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I too have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 and it has done everything I needed it to, so far. Great little unit. I use clean filtered air through it.
Last edited by electrode on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was all set to buy a cheap import plasma cutter, but the website didn't register the advertised discount so I scrapped the idea. I saved up another month and had my LWS order a Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air for me. One of the best decisions I ever made. It's a great little unit with the built-in compressor.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I cheaped out and got the China no name 50 amp. It works like a under powered 30 at best. Fortunately it worked good enough for the one project I bought it for. It payed for itself but every time I go to use it I wonder if it will even turn on.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

I can only agree with the comments made here!
Bought a Hypertherm PowerMax 85 six weeks ago and feel I will never look back!
This thing rocks on my CNC table!
I'd rather spend money right once, then wrong many times over!
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Notapro I totally agree with Jims advice regarding buying a major brand unit with service and parts readily available. I bought a Hypertherm x30 air in 2015 and never regreted spending the money to buy a quality machine. I did a lot of research on the pros and cons of many brands. The main selling point besides quality was the built in air pump. This thing is totally portable - just plug into a 110 or 220v plug and go - weighs aprox. 30lbs. It also punches above its weight - I have done a decent cut on a 5/8in backhoe bucket edge. I always try to buy quality tools - treat them right and they can be a lifetime investment. There are many good brand name new and used products out there and you need to take some time to educate yourself on the various features of each to fit your needs. If you are a hobbiest like me (retired) you will find with good equipment of any kind the project will go smoother and be more fun. In case you are wondering I am not a hypertherm salesman. I have tried the cheap route on tools before and usually end up kicking myself and buying quality in the end anyway. Good luck!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

taylorkh wrote:I do NOT work for Hypertherm but I can second Jim's opinion. A few years back I was in the market for a small plasma cutter. Strictly for hobby use so no need to do the cost/benefit analysis. When I buy a toy I buy the best I can find and go with Made in USA if at all possible. That said I decided on the Hypertherm Powermax 30. Rated at 1/4". I purchased the unit on-line from weldersource.com. Had it in a couple of days. I unpacked it on the bench and as I turned it over to check the serial number I heard a tink, tink, tink. Something bouncing around inside. I turned it back upright and heard tink, tink. Now the something is stuck somewhere. Probably on the circuit board. Not good.

I sent an email to customer service at Hypertherm and went back to the shop to do some investigating. I pulled the cover and looked. I could find nothing. I put it back together only to realize that I had neglected to put back the fan shroud. Off comes the cover again and another thorough inspection. Nothing. Back together again.

I decided that as it was under warranty I would plug it in and see if it would let the smoke out. As I started to uncoil the cables I found an 8 mm brass nut on the bench. Apparently the source of the tink, tink, tink. It had come out of the ventilation slots when I uprighted the machine originally. Back to the PC to ask why in the world would they allow a loose nut to be bouncing around all of the high dollar circuitry.

To my great surprise I found an email from the MANAGER of hand held plasma systems in response to my customer service inquiry. It arrived LESS THAN AN HOUR after my initial contact. That is customer SERVICE. I replied and explained that I had located the wayward part and that the unit was working fine. I thought that was the end of it.

Next morning at 6:30 I took the dog out for a walk. When I got back a little after 7 the wife was awake and mad as H for being woken up so early. "This person has called twice. He wants you to call him before 8 when he has to go to a meeting." It was from a technician in the Hypertherm repair department. When we spoke he explained that he had been assigned the case and that he had examined a Powermax 30 and there were only 2 places which used an 8 mm nut. He offered to walk me through pulling the cover and checking that the nuts were in place and tight. I said that I had already removed the cover and I would do it again just to triple check. The nuts we in place and tight. The extra nut must have been dropped into the machine on the assembly line.

Mistakes will happen. The true measure of a company is how they handle the mistakes. Hypertherm went above and beyond any reasonable customer service expectations in this case. Well done! I have had similar excellent customer service from Hobart and Miller.

Less expensive machines from Northern Tool, Eastwood, Horrible Fright or evilbay will probably work just fine. But when they don't...

As to the baby Hypertherm... the last time I used it was to pierce two bolt holes in an AR500 gong target. The owner shot the two mounting "ears" off his new target the first time he used it. The machine cut through the 3/8" AR500 like a hot poker through styrofoam. Amazing!

Ken
I'm speechless. I didn't think that level of customer service existed anymore.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I have a cheapish Chinese plasma cutter, my son wouldn't part with a kidney for me to afford a hypertherm over here.
Its adequate for home jobs, seems to trash an electrode or jet every job.
The most important thing for any plasma cutter is DRY air.
I have a reg and filter on the compressor, a water filter between the compressor and air line and the reg and filter on the unit itself. Where I am is semi tropical and humid, so keeping water out of the system takes all of the above.
That and getting the sweet spot on the air pressure, once I get that right it makes reasonable, not great cuts.
Max is around 10mm.
If I was actually making money with it it would have magically turned into a hypertherm ( my son for some reason still looks worried)
Happy new year.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....