It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 pm Advanced search

Grizzly BIG Mills - Experience?

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Grizzly BIG Mills - Experience?

Postby entity-unknown » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm about ready to purchase a Grizzly G0757Z mill. This thing is huge and I'm about to drop a lot of cash but I'm not finding many reviews of Grizzly's larger mills. It also has the full 3 Axis DRO setup from Dro Pros already attached. It's the ES-10 model from what I can tell which looks really full featured. Still any thoughts/concerns/moments of glory on any of this?

I also have about a 20 degree inclined 20 ft driveway and this thing weighs 2050 lbs. Last time the lift gate guy was cool and brought my lathe into my garage but that was 80 lbs. I have a 2 ton shop crane that looks like the mill foot print will fit in at the 1.5 and 2 ton lift points. It's the HF 2 ton engine crane. I'm renting a pallet jack in case the lift gate guy won't run it up the drive way but is it even possible to get this mill into my garage? I've read plenty of stories saying around 1000lbs np but not finding much for a full ton. Also, is it a bad idea to lay out a floor of 2x4s to put this thing on, or should I just set it on the concrete? Finaly ?, with 1Ton, do I really need to bolt it to the floor and if so will said 2x4 be adequate or pointless?

Either way any thoughts and advice would be appreciated as always :)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
16+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
entity-unknown
Ace

Re: Grizzly BIG Mills - Experience?

Postby 682bear » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 pm

I'd say even with a pallet jack you may have issues moving something that heavy uphill... and if it gets away from you, its gonna go all the way to the botto whether you like it or not.

As far as the 2x4s, thats a no-go... 2x4s will never support it and keep it sitting level. Actually, placing it directly on concrete is not recommended, either. There should be at least 4 'pads' cast into the bottom of the mill, these pads should sit on 4 pieces of steel plate on the concrete. This is to prevent machine vibration from 'etching' into the concrete floor.
682bear

Postby Artie F. Emm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:39 am

Does Grizzly provide installation instructions, maybe in the owner's manual? Seems like they should, if there are details like "concrete pad on steel plate footer" that not everyone may know about.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:17 am

When I bought my milling machine I rented a fork truck to get it off the trailer and into my workshop. And I was very glad I did. My shop is a ways from the street and I always wait for the delivery from the carrier, with my trailer backed up facing the back of the tractor trailer so we can offload it onto the trailer. Then I drive it down to the shop and back it in the driveway. I have used engine cranes in the past on lighter tools and that can be dangerous. Anyhow, the fork truck rental isn't that much considering how smooth the unload and moving of the mill went. I have a concrete floor and would not even consider a plywood floor. As far as bolting it down, I did not do that as I have a fairly level floor and just had to shim one corner.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby entity-unknown » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks guys! Not necessarily the confidence inspiring posts I hoped for but at least you're honest ;)

I was going to buy 2" angle iron and create a base plate for it to sit on so maybe I should just do that and per the recommendation no wood ;)

I'm not a licensed fork lift operator so I can't rent one of those can I? I'm not really finding many places around that rent em as is... I've asked a friend who does heavy equipment out here so we'll see what he says about my options since he probably knows.

As for the installation, this is where it gets into mounting...
Lag shield anchors with lag screws (see below)
are a popular way to anchor machinery to a concrete
floor, because the anchors sit flush with the
floor surface, making it easy to unbolt and move
the machine later, if needed. However, anytime
local codes apply, you MUST follow the anchoring
methodology specified by the code
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
entity-unknown
Ace

Postby electrode » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:35 pm

entity-unknown wrote:Thanks guys! Not necessarily the confidence inspiring posts I hoped for but at least you're honest ;)

I was going to buy 2" angle iron and create a base plate for it to sit on so maybe I should just do that and per the recommendation no wood ;)

I'm not a licensed fork lift operator so I can't rent one of those can I? I'm not really finding many places around that rent em as is... I've asked a friend who does heavy equipment out here so we'll see what he says about my options since he probably knows.

As for the installation, this is where it gets into mounting...
Lag shield anchors with lag screws (see below)
are a popular way to anchor machinery to a concrete
floor, because the anchors sit flush with the
floor surface, making it easy to unbolt and move
the machine later, if needed. However, anytime
local codes apply, you MUST follow the anchoring
methodology specified by the code

We have "Ready Rent" and other equipment rental places here in Florida. You do not have to have a license to operate a fork truck. At least here. :) I bought some anchors for my other tools (tire changer) and bought some nice anchors from a place called concretefasteners.com and they worked great in concrete. They are surface (or slightly under the surface) and use bolts (not lag bolts) and were fairly inexpensive but you had to buy a box of 25 (I think). Is this machine going into your home or at a business? (just reread the post and assume its going into your garage) Put the mill on the concrete floor. I can check on the anchors when I run down to the shop and see what size they are.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby entity-unknown » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you electrode :) I'm starting to think I really need a picture from Grizzly of the bottom side of the stand so I don't screw this up...

Yes this is going into a home garage although if you only walked into my garage you might assume it's a shop by it's design. It's a 6 car L-shaped garage with 10ft ceilings and 9ft garage door openings so a small forklift and the machine will at least fit.

I did buy the load equalizer for the engine hoist and I will not be moving the mill with the hoist, it's only for taking it off the pallet. I was gonna rent the pallet jack for moving the mill with a friend and push but yeah now I'm startin to wonder if that'll work.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
entity-unknown
Ace

Postby electrode » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:54 pm

entity-unknown wrote:Thank you electrode :) I'm starting to think I really need a picture from Grizzly of the bottom side of the stand so I don't screw this up...

Yes this is going into a home garage although if you only walked into my garage you might assume it's a shop by it's design. It's a 6 car L-shaped garage with 10ft ceilings and 9ft garage door openings so a small forklift and the machine will at least fit.

I did buy the load equalizer for the engine hoist and I will not be moving the mill with the hoist, it's only for taking it off the pallet. I was gonna rent the pallet jack for moving the mill with a friend and push but yeah now I'm startin to wonder if that'll work.

I guess you could try the pallet jack to get it into place before getting a fork truck, but I would have the fork truck rental etc sorted out before hand so you have a plan. I had to move my mill from the driveway into the shop and did not have a pallet jack. If the floor is smooth it may work. But the engine hoist has to have the arm extended to get the height and then once to try to lift it and it swings over the engine hoist you run into weird problems. Anyhow, here is a pic of the bottom of my mill so you can see how the normal base looks. I have a 9x49 Mill. It hasn't moved in years and they don't fall over by themselves. :lol:

Dscf2841r.jpg
Dscf2841r.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 619 times

And here are the type anchors I have used elsewhere but these are only for a 3/8 bolt so not big enough for a mill if you decide to mount it. Concrete fasteners sells these is all sizes:

Dscf2843r.jpg
Dscf2843r.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 619 times

https://www.concretefasteners.com/confa ... or-drop-in

and

https://www.concretefasteners.com/confa ... tting-tool

and the guide:
https://www.concretefasteners.com/productfinder
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby motox » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm

i have move plenty of very heavy equipment using 2" pipe as
rollers but never up an incline but with a come-along it
would be possible, just very slow and requires some
extra hands.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger

Postby entity-unknown » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm

That sounds like that was fun! Looks like you gave it the proper spacing all around too ;) Thank you for the links too! I figure I'll need to get Grizzly to tell me the bolt sizes but I think I might just be best dealing with it when I get it here. Will I be too lazy to drill the holes after I place it though, now that's the real question...

I found google sucks for looking up moving experiences but I searched some forums and changed my youtube search and am startin to find stuff. A lot of people have gotten away with pipe rollers so the pallet jack is sounding more appealing.

You have a longer X-axis and it looks like you have a bigger floor print. The floor print is listed as 30.5" x 20.5" but Grizzly is telling me 35.5" x 20.5". Still at the 2Ton slot it looks like I'll have 2" to spare from the legs if I use the equalizer so I should be able to put it out to 1.5Ton and have a few more inches to spare.

So my driveway is 20ft, with about a 3ft sidewalk like lip. The sidewalk portion is a 6 degree incline and the drive way is about 4.20. Perhaps someone was making a joke when building the incline angle :P

I'm really starting to think just a pallet jack and my friend will work or is keeping that forklift rental a good idea no matter what?
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
entity-unknown
Ace

Next

Return to Metal Cutting