Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks for the general thoughts on the anchoring :) I purchased these levelers which I'll build a stand and put these into it along with the casters to move it as needed and hopefully give it a few extra inches so my back doesn't turn into a ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI ... UTF8&psc=1

I have the G8688 mini lathe and have been very pleased with it. The last thing I really need to complete my ensemble is a mill too :) I got some other tools but I intend to make them with the lathe and mill such as my tube roller.
I looked over the manual and it does look like I'll be spending a day or two cleaning this thing up and just getting it ready to do the spindle break ins.

I've heard mostly good things about Grizzly from what I've read but I never heard about them until I looked into a lathe. Looks like they have some relation to Shop Fox and I like the drill press I was given but even if no relation I will say the lathe is solid for what it is and turning 2" round steel isn't an issue. It looks like they picked solid components too but we'll see soon enough :D

The push rods sounded simple enough until I looked at the base of the machine. It has two 2x4 slots cut out on either side so rolling would not be an option. I don't even think the machine skates would work out plus this just looks like it'd be a disaster with the profile and electro gizmos. Perhaps they wanted to ensure there's no backwoods moving for this machine ;) Definitely a hoist/lift.

As for the tooling vs the mill price.... yeah it looks like to get pretty much everything I'd generally want/need with a gimmic tool or two will be about half the price of the mill itself. But will it be worth it? YES! Especially after all the plumbing, drywall, irrigation, electrical, roofing, and cleaning I endured to make my old house a perfect repair free home for it's new owner ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Pony up some dough and hire one of these with appropriate crew to get it in properly. Theres no point in damaging your equipment and your life. Search under machinery relocation.

http://www.terex.com/cranes/en/aboutus/ ... ds/Franna/
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Yeah I've decided to go with a rigging crew to move it in. I'll lift it myself since I should be able to do that with my equipment, it's just the moving and driveway that are sketchy.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I should have mentioned, the mil was set on a piece of 3/4 plywood with pushrods underneath,
greased lightning :)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

cool
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

entity-unknown wrote:Yeah I've decided to go with a rigging crew to move it in. I'll lift it myself since I should be able to do that with my equipment, it's just the moving and driveway that are sketchy.
I have a 2 ton shop crane that looks like the mill foot print will fit in at the 1.5 and 2 ton lift points. It's the HF 2 ton engine crane.
You plan to lift it off the pallet with an engine hoist type shop crane? That won't work. A gantry crane yes, a rented telescoping fork lift (how I moved my last knee mill) yes.

Even if its off the pallet and sitting on the floor, while you can wheel an engine hoist in there, the mills don't lift level and typically you have to extend the boom on your hoist then its no longer rated for 2 ton. Mine was 1,000 lbs and it was dicey moving it just a few feet into position with the engine hoist. Just saying.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Coolidge wrote:
entity-unknown wrote:Yeah I've decided to go with a rigging crew to move it in. I'll lift it myself since I should be able to do that with my equipment, it's just the moving and driveway that are sketchy.
I have a 2 ton shop crane that looks like the mill foot print will fit in at the 1.5 and 2 ton lift points. It's the HF 2 ton engine crane.
You plan to lift it off the pallet with an engine hoist type shop crane? That won't work. A gantry crane yes, a rented telescoping fork lift (how I moved my last knee mill) yes.

Even if its off the pallet and sitting on the floor, while you can wheel an engine hoist in there, the mills don't lift level and typically you have to extend the boom on your hoist then its no longer rated for 2 ton. Mine was 1,000 lbs and it was dicey moving it just a few feet into position with the engine hoist. Just saying.
Yeah using an enigma lift goes on and off. We used it to puck up our new lathe at school. We had to rearrange the straps 3-4 times just to get it off the pallet and then up onto the stand without killing ourselv
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick