Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Hey guys and gals. Since my last thread on blade life I've been looking at band saws on eBay and was wondering g if y'all have had any experience with the Grizzly saw or the Baliegh saws? I'm looking at the $600 range saws so if you have a review I'd love to hear it. This would stay in my shop and I'd use my abrasive saw for portability.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I can't speak for Baleigh in regards to band saws but I've used a couple other of their products and they built like tanks and do a real nice job.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I've seen good stuff from Grizzly too but wasn't sure since they do so much different stuff. When their prices go from $300-$12,000 it makes me wonder if they put the same quality in the cheaper stuff as the high end stuff. Thanks for the input.
Bobby Sixguns
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm

I have the Grizzly G0561 bandsaw, when I bought it the cost was right around $800. It was an excellent purchase. The castings are good, coolant system works well, and most of all it makes clean/straight/true cuts. The only thing I don't like is what it takes to make 45 degree miter cuts, there are two slots in the fence for miter angles, so you have to remove the fence fasteners and move them to make a full 45 degree miter. This would not detour me from buying it again. Hope this helps a bit.
claudconger
    Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:45 am

I'd bet heavily that you'd never be able to tell the difference by looking at the cuts, or even by feel. Setup and blade selection are going to determine the end performance of any of them. The Griz G1023RL and G0690 are excellent values in the range of $1400 shipped, and both have a large happy following. The other two are excellent saws, but cost a lot more (2x) ....the Saw Stop at least offers the safety technology, whereas the PM2000 does not. All are Asian imports. Which is best for you, only you can decide. Get the one that makes you happiest.

A good used saw is always an option if the right deal comes your way.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I got my employer to buy a horizontal bandsaw from Grizzly. Turned into a bit of a headache, as he went for the cheapest one in the capacity I wanted... It was entirely Chinese in manufacture, and I spent about 6 hours tuning it. Out of the box, it couldn't cut close to square on a 2X4

That said, once it was tuned it would make reliable, repeatable square cuts. Slower than molasses in February, being a gravity fed/spring assisted dry cut saw, but reliable after that.

That one was lost when the megacorp folded us and put us on the street. I haven't replaced it, as the Metal Devil does the same job in a tiny fraction of the time.

Steve S
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I have a JET https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... ae_tit_a1/ that I bought in 2008 and it was only $949.00 back then and I even got FREE SHIPPING. It has been a workhorse and I have had zero problems with it other than maintenance.

Shop around they can be had cheaper than the resellers on Amazon:
https://www.google.com/search?q=JET+414 ... 8&oe=utf-8

Edit: Looks like it may have been discontinued and this is the new replacement and it has left and right table tilt:
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jet-414559